13: Birthday

"You need to get this dress!" My mom said, handing me a bright pink dress that was so puffy it could have passed as a cloud.

"Yeah, no, I don't think so..." I murmured, lightly pushing the dress away from me. My mom pouted, and we kept on looking for dresses that could be good for my birthday. I was at this store for an hour already, and I was getting exhausted.

It was officially two days away from my birthday, and even though I had way enough dresses at home, my mom insisted she got me a new dress. One of your presents, she had said.

I sighed as I moved away from the neon colored dresses to the more elegant section. There were no other customers, because my mom had requested the shop to close while we were there, and the people at the shops were milling around us shoving dresses in my face.

I looked through the dresses, until I saw one that caught my eye. It was a white dress with swirls of dark green going through it. The fabric felt soft and silky under my touch.

"I want to try this one." I told my mom, and she smiled brightly, this dress being the first one I pointed out myself. The women around me led me to the dressing room, and they pulled the curtain closed after I walked in.

I stripped off my clothes and got the dress off of its hanger. The fabric was so smooth it made me feel like it might slip out of my fingers. I slipped it on and it fell fit perfectly. It had an off-the-shoulder top, with white, see-through fabric that covered my arms. The dress wrapped around just under my chest and fell lightly around me, ending an inch above my knees.

I looked at myself in the reflection. The dress had a sort of Greek goddess look to it, and I liked it. The green swirls matched the color of my eyes, and my brown hair contrasted nicely with the white.

I pulled back the curtains for my mom to see me in the dress. Her eyes widened.

"That's beautiful! It's like that dress was made just for you!"

I blushed slightly, just as one of the people at the shop walked over and gave me a pair of white heels. The heels were at least 5 inches high, and I immediately pushed them back to the lady.

"I'm too tall for heels." I told her, but my mom scoffed.

"Honey it's your birthday. You can whatever you want."

I didn't know if I really wanted to wear heels, but I took them from her and slipped them on. Immediately me legs looked longer and thinner, and my entire body looked more model-like. I was pretty slim to begin with, but as I stared at my reflection, I actually liked how I looked. No wonder so many girls wore heels.

But with the heels, I stood at six feet tall. And even if it looked great, I couldn't stand being taller than a lot of the guys who would come to the party.

"I'm going to wear two inch heels on the day though." I told my mom, "I already have white heels anyway."

My mom nodded, seeming not to care much because I had found a dress I liked. I quickly changed out of the dress and my mom and I went back to my house.

When I got home, my dad was in the main living room with some of his colleagues. I hadn't seen him home for a long time.

"Hi dad." I said, walking towards him with my mom.

My dad wrapped an arm around me and introduced me and my mom to his guests.

"This is my wife Giselle and my daughter Cassandra," he said, in his strong, business-like voice.

I shook the men's hands, and I plastered on my best smile.

"Nice to meet you." I said to each of them, and they all looked at me approvingly.