Chapter 9

2016 (Y/N) Spring

Sitting in the hospital staff room, you blankly stared at nothing with so many thoughts in your mind. This was you're first time you had let someone die as a doctor.

Did you miss something? Did you forget something important?

Your hands ran through your hair in frustration, anger, everything. It was your fault. This was the first time you lost a life while working.

"Hey." A voice startled you and seen it was your mentor, wiping your face.

She sat down by you with a gentle look. "I heard what happened at the Sunrise Plaza." You sighed as she continued. "The AMT said you fought hard to keep the guy alive." Hugging yourself, you nod. "Yeah. I did.....i just never thought I'd fail."

A hand was placed on your shoudler. "You didn't fail. Listen, (Y/N). I'm going to tell you what I've told every young doctor and I hope you will be the first to listen." Glancing at her with curiousity, she talked.

"On your day off. Drive away from this place as far as you can. Go to a place where you feel more like yourself."

On your next day off you took Pippin with you and drove to a familar place.

The Lake House.

"Well, I guess today is when we come back for a short visit Pippin." You heard her bark.

Spring was here as you parked in front of the house and began to walk around.

More water in the lake, birds chirping happily, trees and some grass with greens, and the skies clear for blue to spread out. Pippin was already sitting at the end of the walkway, waiting for you to follow her to the home, but you just stared and waved her back to the car.

"Come on, Pippin." She whined and followed. You reached your car and couldn't help but notice the flag was still up. "Might as well check it."

To your surprise, a different folded paper lay there and you read it going to your car.

"Dear (L/N), I got your note and as far as I know the Lake House has been empty for a few years. Just a thought here, but I think you meant for this note for the cottage down the shore from this one."

You were beyond confused, then continued.

"But I'm curious about the paw prints."

Your eyes then went to the year he wrote. Sighing, you decided to write him back. At that you placed the paper in the mailbox before leaving back home.