Chapter 16: recovery

*beep* *beep* *beep*

My eyes drifted open.

Scanning the room around me. Chairs. Curtains. Wires. Tubes in my body. Nobody in the chairs.

*beep* *beep*

In a daze, I continue to observe and think about what I can remember. I was at a gymnastics meet, I think. I was, uh, on bars. I was competing my routine, and the skill inched closer. And that's all. Everything else was gone. Black.

I turn to the tv in my room. Some news report about some accident. Damn it looked bad. This one car, completely totaled. Air bags deployed. Car flipped over. License plate "TR4CKST4r"

Hold on. That's. No. No. No. No. No. This can't be true. My heart begins to race. Beating out of my chest. A machine behind me is beeping. The nurse comes running in, along with my mom.

"Mom it's-" I try to say pointing to the TV.

"Honey, calm down everything is okay." She interrupts

"wait! No mom!" I try to get her attention but she keeps walking.

"Mom! Turn around and listen to me!" She turns, gives me a sympathetic look, and keeps moving down the hallway.

I whip my head around looking for the nurse, but I grab my neck in pain.

"I knew we should've given you the neck brace." She mumbles, strapping me into the brace.

"M'am ,that's my brother. I need to go see him."

"Oh no. I'm sorry, darling, but you need to stay here. You're too severe to move."

"No, you don't understand. That's my brother, lady. My best friend. My partner in crime. The person I can go to about anything. And if you don't let me out of this bed, I'll find my way out, and go to see my brother."

She glances back at the TV, staring at the accident. I can tell she's contemplating something in her head. Her eyebrows are furrowing and relaxing. Her mouth is moving from side to side.

"Fine, but I have to wheel you down there." She finally says.

"Thank god, let's go.

His room is only a couple away. As we inch closer I get more and more nervous.

What if he's dead? What if he's in a coma? What if he doesn't remember me!? My heart beats out of my chest. I place my hand over my heart trying to hide its thundering beat. This is when I notice the soft cast around my hand and wrist. Damn. What did I do?

I'm wheeled into the room, only to find someone that isn't my brother. "This isn't my brother mam."

"Dear, I'm afraid to say it is."

I look into the eyes of the beaten figure on the bed. His soft blue eyes telling me it's him. Telling me not to fear, that he will be okay. Bloody gashes all across his face. A soft cast on his wrist, neck brace, bandages around his torso.

"Tyler." I whimper out.

He gathers enough energy to softly grin. I'm rolled over to him, where I can hold onto his hand.

"you'll be okay. Pull through. I can't loose you."

His nurse and many more doctors come spewing into the room.

"Okay it's time to go." Andrea, my nurse says.

"Wait, where are they taking him?"

"He has to go into surgery, honey."