4. Gifts & Curses

"Ow, Ell- Ouch, you are a little monster!" Legolas grumbled at his little sister, as he sat cross legged on the floor of their family living quarters, as the imperious little elfling tugged and pulled at her older brother's hair.

"But you have to wear your hair like this now!" Ellenya exclaimed, tugging violently at another strand. Legolas winced, closing one eye and comically pulling a face at her. Ellenya giggled at his reaction.

"Tis not funny Ellenya, I cannot fathom why I deserve such torture," Legolas grumbled and batted his sister away playfully. He did know why; this was payback and probably deserved. However he was the one that had agreed to watch his darling younger, sister before he took off for another night of patrol with the interior guard.

Legolas smiled proudly at the thought, praying silently that his Adar would be equally proud too. Nothing had gone wrong, he had commanded the guard well, even Arystor had commented positively about his performance. Even promising to pass on his praises to Thranduil. The prince fervently hoped he would, if only to take the edge off the fact he had been disobedient to his Ada's command.

"What do you think?" Ellenya quipped, sticking a looking glass under her brother's nose. "Now you look like Ada, when he goes to fight horrible goblins." Ellenya looked impressed with herself and had a smug little smile on her angelic face.

Legolas rolled his eyes and peered into the mirror, he was silent for a moment while he contemplated his reflection. Gently placing the looking glass down, he cleared his throat and glared at Ellenya.

"What. Have. You. Done. To my HAIR!" he roared, Ellenya sniggered and ducked as Legolas made a swipe for her, backing herself up against the wall...she grinned;

"It's warrior braids, weelll...not exactly, but I think you look pretty scary," she giggled.

"Scary! Ellenya, I'm not supposed to scare the goblins to death, I'm supposed to shoot them!" Legolas shrieked and pounced on his little sister, but she was too quick and darted off roaring with laughter.

Legolas chuckled too and followed after her, shouting promises of torture and pain. His hair really was ridiculous looking though, something akin to a bird's nest he thought, as he crashed about the room in a vain attempt to catch the little bandit.

Legolas had just launched himself over one of his parents ornate sofa's and caught Ellenya, with a yowl of triumph, when the doors opened to reveal both their parents, looking rather bemused. Lairel smirked and stifled a giggle at the scene, whilst Thranduil looked less than impressed, shaking his head disapprovingly.

"Uh Oh!" Ellenya gulped, peering around her brother.

Legolas felt his stomach twist, 'wonderful,' he thought, 'yes this is the perfect way to impress Ada.' Legolas quickly yanked a few fingers through the disarray braids and managed an apologetic grimace;

"I was just...well we were...playing..." he managed, whilst internally cringing, he was 'playing,' his Ada would certainly not take him seriously now. Thranduil let his son go through all the emotions of embarrassment, before shrugging his shoulders and tutting;

"Honestly son, you will never catch any orc whooping like that, however I would wager you would terrify those ghastly creatures, running round the wood looking like that and howling like something unholy." Thranduil said with a dead pan expression, whilst Legolas struggled to work out if his Ada was bantering with him or insulting him, it was often hard to tell.

Lariel chuckled and elbowed her husband gently in the ribs, "Stop being so horrible," she muttered.

Thranduil grinned, "Alright, I will, but let this be warning son, your sister has a terrible, yet brilliant mind," Thranduil walked towards his daughter and ruffled her hair, Ellenya smiled sheepishly and buried her face into her Adar's side, as she accepted a warm embrace, mumbling a nearly audible "Sorry Legolas," before looking up at her Ada, "but how did you know I did it?"