Chapter 3

Manvi stood watching a girl just a few years younger than her age cut some vegetables while people bustled around in kitchen preparing for dinner. It was the same she remembered. This same building... slightly old and worn out looking now, the same excitement and laughter echoing around as people pushed aside their own life miseries, kids playing in the large hall by the dining area just at the other side of the kitchen and the same welcoming warmth for every unfortunate ones that stumbled on the orphanage's door. And it didn't stay limited for the orphan children only, homeless unfortunate women were also allowed to stay until they could find a fresh start somewhere. Most of the times it was the orphanage authority who helped those women on that matter.

"It's not like you're unwelcome here sweetheart." A sweet voice made her look sideways, the voice wavered because of old age. Mother, all the people in the orphanage and in the whole town that knew her were used to call her that. "But you're already aware of the home you already own from your mother's side, don't you Manvi?"

Manvi shrugged. "That's hardly a home mother."

It was true, a mansion she got from her mother's side along with a huge chunk of money after she had just gotten out of the orphanage. Her grandfather, her mom's father who had disinherited his only daughter for marrying a man he didn't approve had written her off half of his inheritance before he took last breath. How ironic, Manvi thought, her grandfather was in fact right about judging his father's character. However, Manvi had felt hurt knowing that her grandfather knew her existence all along yet he didn't step up to rescue her when she needed it the most. She would have appreciated that effort by her mom's father more than his wealth. That was the reason she had never used any of that wealth or went to that mansion which she heard of having some architectural and historical value. Besides she had already met Virat by then.

Manvi mentally groaned as for thousandth time thoughts of Virat came barging into her mind and like every other time didn't fail to knock at her heart hard in an attempt of knocking her out. She blinked rapidly and focused back on Mother to find her staring back at her with a twinkle in her eyes which screamed wisdom of an old lady who had seen better days in life.

Mother's wrinkly hand touched her cheek and Manvi found it hard to hold back a sob. "You're right child, no house will ever be a home to you. You've clearly left that home behind." Mother spoke softly, with sympathy and understanding.

That was it, Manvi felt a tear slip down her eye. She sniffled suddenly hugging the frain, wrinkly, old woman and felt like she had hugged her mother. It was just like her childhood days in this orphanage. "Oh... it hurts so much Mother!"

Mother kept running a hand on Manvi's hair comfortingly. "I know, Manvi, I know. I wouldn't ask you a single question about why you did what, because I believe in my sweet Manvi. But know that I've raised you my dearest and would only want what's good for you. Just like all the children here, I want you to have a home, live happily and spread hope and strength to others as well."

Mother patted Manvi's back calming this girl who would always be her little sunshine who arrived at her doorstep with war scars, sad eyes and less to speak... but still filled with so much hope. "It's no heroic to hold a grudge against someone who had realized his mistake no matter how late... and is no more living among us."

Manvi hugged Mother tighter sighing, already making up her mind. She wanted to be happy too and live just like Mother had said. She thought about that mansion far from being a home, but she could try... and try she would. Mother was right, how long would she hold this grudge? Maybe it was time to claim what was her's.

At that moment at the back of her mind a tiny flicker of thought bloomed, a dangerous thought that was. What if Virat realized his mistake one day?