Chapter 9

The next day was crazy beyond limits. In the midst of Virat trying to talk to Manvi every now and then a number of people arrived and began working with electric wires all over the mansion. It turned out Virat had used his connections and finally there will be electricity in this creepy, dark place. While Manvi was furious at Virat's involvement in her business and practically on her property, Dabbu was the happiest however and took a liking to Virat.

Manvi was pacing around in her room in anger when Virat knocked on her bedroom door which was left slightly ajar. He entered without waiting for her permission. 

"You should sit down and take some rest Manvi. Don't forget that you just fainted last night." Virat said with concern.

Manvi spun on her heels to face him. "And don't you forget Virat that you're unwelcome in my house."

"It was you who brought me inside last night." Virat countered back with a raised eyebrow.

"I am not that unkind to let someone's life be in danger and stand like a fool under a freaking tree in storm." Manvi said throwing her hand up in exasperation. "And I would really appreciate if you leave now."

"Not without you." For the hundredth time Virat repeated firmly.

"Virat, you need to..." 

Manvi couldn't complete her sentence as Dabbu's ever interrupting face peeked in through the door.

"Virat, the electricity guys are asking for you." Dabbu didn't wait for a reply and walked away.

Virat was about to leave the room too when Manvi called his name making him stop on his track.

"Virat, I just wanted to let you know that I don't appreciate you meddling in my issues. Repairing this mansion is what I would handle all by myself and I don't want your freaking help." She said crossing her arms. 

With his back facing her, Virat tilted his head slightly. "You're my wife Manvi. Your issues are all mine as well."

Virat stormed out of her room not giving her any chance to reply. One of these days he was going to just kidnap her back home, he thought in impatience.

Paying the electricians an insane amount of money Virat went back inside the mansion to see Manvi setting up dinner. He looked at the time on his wrist watch and raised a brow. The day had passed pretty quickly in all the madness of his trying to woo his pissed off wife and the said wife getting even more pissed off everytime as the electricians started a drilling machine through the walls or began hammering all of sudden startling her. 

Even the so called ghosts of this haunted mansion would have ran away at the amount of noise the team of electricians made the whole day. At least there were light now and ceiling fans. Virat had wanted to opt for AC but that would take some time. More repairing was needed to make this mansion livable and prepared for further luxury. 

Virat sat down next to Manvi. "Smells heavenly!" He praised trying to create an image of a good husband.

"You're so right..." Dabbu said absentmindedly while gobbling up food in a reckless speed.

Manvi, well, she stood up grunting low and went to sit on a chair on the other side of the long dining table.

Virat's face fell. They ate in silence until Dabbu left almost licking his plate clean.  

Manvi was gathering up the dishes to take them in the kitchen and clean up. She noticed how Virat just sat there staring at her like a perverted fool. 

"Tomorrow, I expect you to go back to Chandigarh." Manvi said firmly. 

Virat's persistence was slowly meting the ice walls around her heart and she refused to let him expose her for hurt again. He looked truthful whenever he said so convincingly that he didn't cheated on her. But how could Manvi forget what she heard Maya speak over the phone that day before she left?