Chapter 27 (part 2)

Eventually, Tristan pulled into what looked like a diner on the outskirts of some town. Surprisingly the parking lot was packed for a place in practically the middle of nowhere. I was about to get out of the car after Tristan before he beat me to it and opened the door for me.

"Wow, I didn't know there was a gentleman somewhere in you," I say jokingly stepping out carefully.

"I assure you, my dear, chivalry isn't dead," he winks before offering his elbow to me, keeping up with his gentlemanly act.

I laugh, slipping my hand around his toned bicep as he leads me into the diner, only stepping away from me to open the door. Did my sarcasm somehow challenge him to act this way? I wasn't too sure, but either way it felt nice to be treated like a lady and was entertaining watching Tristan being the one to do it. Inside the diner was styled to look like the ones in the 1950's with even the waitresses on rollerskates. There was a counter with stools and red booths all around the place and most of them were full of customers. Everything had a warm and friendly feeling to it as an older, sweet looking woman with carmel skin came up to Tristan with a huge red lip stick smile.

"It's so nice to see you again, sugar! You are just growin up so quick on me!" she exclaims with a southern twang pulling him in for a big hug before looking at me. "And who might this lovely lady be you brought with you? Have you finally found a girl who's taken a likin' to ya? I was about to think you was battin' for the other team."

It took everything in me to keep a straight face. I think I actually saw Tristan's face redden as he furrowed his eyebrows in a slight pout. "I have no idea what you're talking about, Aunt Josie, I happen to be quite the ladies' man. Anyways, this is Beatrice," he says gesturing at me.

"Tristan Alexander Carp, quit your bluffin'. I ain't never seen you about with another girl, so you're plain lucky that this young lady took pity on you and let you court her," the woman said shaking her head at Tristan before turning to me. "Hello, darlin', it's nice to meet ya. You know I do love that name Beatrice because my very best friend's mom's name was that. Such a lovely lady. Now tell me how has this boy been treatin a pretty little thing like you?"

I laughed nervously. This woman sure came on strong, but I liked it. I wasn't used to getting called  pretty, and it was just funny how she acted like I was the one out of Tristan's league. "Oh, well, pretty good I suppose, ma'am."

"He better be, but he's a good boy. You're a nice girl for takin heart on my little lonely boy. Take any seat you like," Josie smiled before walking off.

This was when I couldn't really keep some of my laughter down. Tristan turned and glared at me, letting out an exasperated sigh. "Please, don't start," he said gazing up at the checkered ceiling.

"Oh-h," I chuckled mischeviously, "you know I have to, but I'm not sure where to start. I'm learning a lot here, Carp. I'm starting to think your ego is just bravado. You sure are lucky I'm taking you on as my next charity case."

"You know, I already have one loud, nagging woman to deal with. I don't need another."

"I disagree, you could use a whole army of nagging women to even begin to deflate that oversized ego of yours," I smirk as we sit across from eachother in a booth.

"I don't think I would stand a chance against that," he shakes his head.

"I really do like Josie, though. She's super nice. How long have you known her?"

"She's not all that nice to everyone, so that means she really likes you, too. I've known her since I was really little. She was a big part in raising me and watched me grow up," he smiles.