Chapter Twenty

"Ches?" Mike asked in a tired voice when Chester got out of bed. He cursed himself silently for waking Mike even though Mike had only woken up because he sensed Chester leaving. "Where you going?"

"Um, for a walk." Chester lied and Mike sat up, his eyes squinting to try and see him.

"I'll come with-"

"No, keep sleeping. I'll only be gone for a while." Chester soothed him but it had no affect on his boyfriend.

"I don't like the idea of you walking around alone this late." Mike said and Chester came over to him and kissed his head.

"It'll be fine, Mike. I can take care of myself." Chester smiled and Mike caved, a piece of him thinking this was just a dream. He grabbed his phone nearby.

"I'm going to set an alarm for four a.m. If you're not home by then, I'm waking everyone up and we'll go find you."

"Okay." Chester agreed. If it turned out Mike was lying, he'd want to confront him anyway. He didn't plan on being out long. "I'm going to the bathroom and then leaving."

"Alright, see you soon." Mike laid back down and was out in seconds. Chester went into the bathroom and took out the card Scott gave him with his number on it. He dialed it and Scott answered instantly.

"Chester, haven't changed your mind, have you?" Scott asked quickly.

"About meeting up? No, I'm still coming. Just a little late." Chester explained.

"Alright. I'll be waiting." Scott said and hung up. Chester had brought a pen and notebook with him and wrote Mike a note incase Scott tried to take him. He put it where Mike could find it but not immediately in case Chester came back.

"Shit." Chester swore when all his stuff suddenly dropped out of his hands. He picked up everything but realized the card with Scott's number wasn't with him. He saw the time and told himself he'd find it later and if he didn't come back, at least Mike had that.

~

Chester walked towards the beach, seeing Scott's figure in the shadows. Scott stepped under a street light and Chester noticed cameras underneath it. He was extremely grateful for that in case Scott tried to do something. He walked up to him and Scott turned around, noticing Chester. He grinned profoundly and Chester tried to return it but it was weak. Scott didn't seem to care, though, and gave Chester a quick hug.

"Hi, Ches." He greeted Chester, making him uncomfortable by using the nickname.

"Hi." Chester returned the greeting but it wasn't as warm. Scott continued to smile. 

"Do you mind answering my questions first?" Scott asked kindly and Chester hesitated before shaking his head. He was somewhat concerned about feeding Scott any kind of information. 

"No, it's fine." Chester said and Scott nodded.

"Okay, great. First, I want to ask you about your home. Not the one you live in now, I don't need to know about that, don't worry. I just want to know your situation from before you met Mike, give me your back story. I know about your uncle and father but don't leave that out."

"Um, okay." Chester sighed, he didn't want to talk about the past. "Everything was great until my mom died-"

"How did it happen?" Scott interrupted. 

"She died of cancer. After that, my dad blamed me. He had my uncle watch me and he started... molesting me when I entered school, also around that time is when my dad started abusing me. Kids always bullied me and that's about it." Chester concluded and Scott nodded. He knew Chester skipped details but it wasn't important.