Chapter Four

"You know what? You're going to Roy's today! I know you came home late after school!" Chester's dad snapped, slapping his son roughly across the face. Chester cried out in fear and pain. It was the next morning and he hadn't saw his father until now. He wished he left a bit earlier, then he wouldn't have to stay at his uncle's today after school.

"Please! Don't make me go! You can't make me go!" Chester yelled firmly and his dad was taken back by his son's reaction. He never dared raise his voice against his father before.

"Don't you dare raise your voice at me, boy." Chester's dad growled, his hands clenched into fists. Chester's eyes slammed shut as he braced himself for a hit that didn't come. He kept his eyes shut until he heard the door slam. He opened his eyes in shock, wondering why his dad didn't hit him.

Instead of thinking about it too deeply, he left for school. He was afraid of what was going to happen afterwards but he hoped he could talk to Mike again today. The thought brought a rare true smile to his lips.

~

He waited in his first hour, arriving early as usual. He hoped Mike came the same time he had yesterday but he didn't have such luck. The door opened and Chester's heart fluttered but he was disappointed to see Mr. Aoki come inside the classroom.

"Good morning, Chester." He said to his student as he took off his coat that was covered in water. Chester just looked up silently. "It's raining."

"Oh," Chester noted, no personality to his voice. Just solid monotone. He was too busy thinking about this late afternoon after school.

"Are you okay?" Mr. Aoki asked the small boy who shrugged in response. Students began piling into the room and moments later the bell rang. Chester was instantly concerned that Mike hadn't came yet. Mr. Aoki noticed Chester's distressed by the absence of his new friend.

About ten minutes later, a soaked Mike walked in through the door. His face looked bruised and he had a dark, black eye. Chester stiffened, suddenly remembering Mike saying his dad was a hard-ass. Chester noticed Mr. Aoki didn't seem surprised by Mike's appearance but asked anyway.

"What happened, Michael?" He asked with no tone in his voice. Chester recalled yesterday Mr. Aoki saying he knew Mike's dad. Perhaps he was present during whatever happened.

"I was mugged." Mike said, clearly well rehearsed. He sat down next to Chester, not looking at him.

"Mike?" Chester asked in a small voice, clearly afraid. Mike didn't respond.

~

Mike sighed as he looked at himself in the school's bathroom mirror. He covered his black eye with one hand before pulling it away, wishing it would just disappear. He was angry that he didn't do more to protect himself.

He was so angry to see Mr. Aoki as well. He hadn't done a thing to stop Scott from beating him. He was just so upset that he failed to talk to Chester or to see the fear written in his eyes and voice.

He was glad it was last hour, the final bell would dismiss any minute now. Mike didn't care that he skipped class, he wouldn't be here long enough to face a detention hopefully or else Scott will beat him again and tell the school he can't attend detention.

The bell rang. Mike sighed and picked up his bag from the corner of the bathroom and headed out. He was instantly met by some sort of commotion.

"Little shit!" Was the first thing he heard and his eyes found a group of people lined in a circle, chanting 'fight!'

"Get him, Frank!" Someone laughed.

Mike shoved his way through and saw it was the smaller boy he called a friend not long ago being beaten by a larger guy their age. Mike couldn't just stand there and watch. He felt something burnin within him as he saw the poor boy getting his ass whooped.