A Darkness that Exceeds Evil

"It was a calm night, but amongst the calm was darkness, a darkness that exceeded all evil, Death. It is said that she keeps our population at fifty, and every time someone is born within the week she will kill the oldest person alive."

"Really Evan, you are not going to scare me with such superstition as this!"
"But Aryn how do you explain our population remaining at fifty since the beginning of our small village?", I said defensively.
"Our population is not stuck at fifty, regardless if it seemingly has been."
"Well don't say I didn't warn you when my mom has her baby and someone dies."
"Well in your theory my mom would die because she is the oldest!"
"Aryn sorry I forgot about that, yeah Aryn you are probably right it is just superstition and nothing more."
"Well it is getting dark, so see you tomorrow.", Aryn said with a smile.
"Well to...", I began.
"Evan when is your mom going to have her baby?", she interrupted.
"In two weeks, why?", I responded.
"Just wondering.", she said walking down the path to her house.

I remained seated on the cliff, with my legs dangling in the air. I got up slowly and looked down into the ocean that surrounded our small island village, and walked to the road. The sun had fully set and all was quiet, we were told to never be outside after the sun goes down, however we were never told why. I quickly ran to my house where my mom angrily awaited me at the door.

"EVAN!", she shouted.
"Yes mom."
"What have I told you about going outside after the sun sets?"
"You told me not to do it, but why mom why can't I just stay out a little while after dark?"
"How dare you question my authority, go to your room now!"
"What!"
"Now go to your room!"

I ran to my room and slammed the door. I sat on my bed and looked through my window which was beside my bed.

In the distance I saw a white light, it was in the shape of a person, I walked slowly to the window seat, and sat down and pressed my face against the cold window. It was a woman but she seemed to be talking to someone, she was talking to a figure dressed in black. I continued to observe their conversation until it seemed as if they stared right at my window. I fell backwards and immediately closed the curtains.

I walked nervously to my bed and hid myself beneath the covers. My body was shaking uncontrollably, and I knew that my "theory" was far from just a theory. This town did have a darkness that exceeded all evil.