She's a Fighter; Chapter Ten

I got inside the house and stood against the door. I was staring into space, reminiscing every moment with Reed.

“Aye, look who’s back.” Troy says.

Caleb comes out the kitchen to check on me. “Everything okay?”

“Yeah, everything is aye okay.” I said smiling into the distance.

Faye walks in and I try to look like I hadn’t had one of the best dates in my life. No, THE best date in my life. I walk past her and head for the kitchen.

“Do we have mocha frapp ice cream?” I ask, trying to lock her into conversation so she doesn't ask about the date.

“Yes, but don’t try and avoid me.” she says. Damn it, she’s on to me. It doesn’t hurt to try.

“I’m not, I’m clearly making conversation with you.”

She rolled her eyes at me.

“Don’t get smart with me, young lady.”

“I’M OLDER THAN YOU!” I yelled. I hated when she said that.

We end up cracking up at her comment.

After I ate my ice cream, I brought her up stairs so I could tell her.

“Dude, you look like a lovesick puppy.”

“No, I don’t!” I say defensively. I don’t even say anything about her using the l-word.I don’t know exactly how I felt about Reed but I didn’t want to put any labels to it.

“Well, go ahead.” she says trying to spill the beans already.

I told her how the date went, every little detail included.

“Ohhhh.” She says winking at me and wiggling her eyebrows. “So when’s your next date?”

“I don’t know, but I hope it’s soon.”

“And you almost didn’t go... good thing you have me around.”

“Mhm...’good thing’” I said, and smiled at her. “Jk bro.” I said scrunching my nose. WE both laughed a bit.

Faye was doing something in her room, while I sat there thinking.

“Don’t be all up in puppy love and then not focus on your big fight ‘cause if I know you you’re going to fall hard.”

Crap, she was right. I couldn’t help it. I mean I knew that most of the guys weren’t going to work out, but I couldn't’ help but hope they were. I couldn’t help but hope. I had to stay focused. I had to not let Reed get to my head. See, a normal person could probably use a breakup or a jerk to fight harder, but then again I’m not normal.

Faye would know a thing or two about me and fighting. She was 1. a veteran in the underground league and 2. my best friend. After an ankle lock submission she had been put through, she has never fully recovered. UFC regulations and rules ban her from fighting with them because they can’t be liable for any injuries she gets into so it wouldn’t be safe. We both know the producer personally and he says if it wasn’t for the rules they would’ve definitely have asked her to fight for the UFC. Despite it all, she refuses to give up fighting even if it’s just in the underground league. She still has to be careful with her ankle and still gets pain daily but doesn’t let it bother her. Faye was once out for almost two and half months. She would’ve recovered faster if she wasn’t so stubborn and just rested.

Faye regularly helps me out with my fighting. We sparr so she can point out any flaws in my fighting. With her experience, I do try to take her word. I, hands down, trust her with my training.

“Use Reed as an inspiration not a motivation.” she said.

I walked out her room, with my game face on. I went to my gym to punch it out. My punching bag was like my safety blanket. Faye banned me from having a bag in my room or else I’d be punching it all day and all night.

I wasn’t going to let Reed going to get in the way. I wasn’t going to let anything or anyone get in the way. It wasn’t about the money, fans, or the title. I was doing this for me.I was doing this to show that I can do it and I’ll be damned if I let something get in the way of one of my biggest dreams,... again.