Chapter 5: Meteor Falls

"Whoa," Dawn exclaimed as we neared the entrance. "It's huge."

"What'd you expect?" I asked dryly. "It's a mountain."

"Let's go!" Dawn ignored my tone and began running to the giant hole that looked more like a monster's mouth than a cave's entrance.

I caught up to Dawn and reluctantly grabbed her wrist, spinning her around to face me. I let go of her wrist quickly, feeling awkward for getting so near and a tinge of fright at how alarmingly fragile she felt.

"What?" She looked at me curiously.

"I was serious when I said someone had died here before." I stared into her eyes until she blinked and looked away.

"I thought you were just trying to scare me."

"What have I told you, Dawn? I don't lie." I took a deep breath. "Years ago, Team Magma and Team Aqua almost caused the mountain to collapse. They battled inside it over a meteorite, or so I've heard, and since then people have tried to avoid Meteor Falls as if the mountain is cursed."

"And you believe that?" 

"I don't believe in curses, but I do believe that doesn't give us any reason to be less careful." I looked at her again. "When you're in here, do exactly what I say when I say it. If you don't and something bad happens to you, it is not my fault and I will not take any blame or feel guilty about whatever stupid thing you do. Do you understand?"

Dawn's eyes looked fearful, but she nodded.

"Do I have your word, Dawn?" This was the first time I'd ever used her name sincerely. I may not like her in the slightest, but that didn't mean I wanted her to not be prepared for what we may find in the cave.

"Yes," her voice was strong. 

"Ok, let's go in." I placed my hand at the entrance of the mouth, looking over my shoulder for one last glimpse at the sun before stepping inside the dimly lit cave.

"It's pretty well lit for a cave," Dawn observed. "Where's the light coming from? There aren't any lanterns..."

"You haven't seen anything yet," I grunted, climbing up an eight foot tall boulder. It looked like it had fallen from the high ceiling, blocking the path I knew we needed to take to get to the main chamber. I reached the top and tried to steady my breath. "We need to go farther in."

"Um, Paul?" 

"What?" Of course, there was already a problem.

"A little help?" Dawn pointed at the boulder and smiled sheepishly.

I sighed and held a hand down. She scrambled up a couple feet as best as she could and grabbed my hand. I hauled her up. It was a good thing she really did have chicken limbs- it would have made this a whole lot harder if she weighed more.

"Thanks." She panted as she scrambled to the top of the boulder.

I was about to ask why she was breathing heavier than I was considering I had done seventy five percent of the work, but held my tongue and dropped off the boulder on the other side, trying to focus.

"Paul?"

"What?"I looked back up to see her dangling her legs over the boulder, unable to jump by herself. "You know, you really need to learn how to do things by yourself. You're, what, twelve?"

"I'm seventeen, thank you very much."

"You don't act like it. And besides, you're really short."