Chapter 4

I walked back into the building and found that the lobby was empty. I guess they knew to stay away from me, I thought as I crossed the hall to head back down to go to the basement. I wanted to soak in a bath, but first I needed to make sure the pumps and shit were working. I didn't really want to face those girls anymore, but if you want to take a bath, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. So I took a deep breath and opened the basement door.

The fading daylight shining through the windows caused a square of light at the bottom of the stairs. I stepped down on to the first step and flicked on the light switch. I looked to the left and saw the girls in the cell; they were blinking and wiping their eyes from the sudden explosion of light. But somehow Haley was still giving me her trademark glare as I made my way down the stairs. I ignored her and walked over to the heater and the pumps.

As I fiddled with the knobs, I heard someone shifting in the cell. "So," I heard Haley say, drawing out the word, "you guys got electricity."

I nodded, but didn't look at her. "Yeah, we do."

She paused for a moment and it was after I finished checking the pumps and I turned around that she said, "How many did you guys kill to get all of this?"

I stopped. Was this really how low she thought of us? Thinking that we killed to get our hands on this stuff?

Well to be honest, we kinda did, in a distant relationship sort of way. It's kinda like ... know what never mind. What I was thinking was way too nasty.

But on a serious note, this was not (really) the type of people my crew are. We aren't a bunch of assholes that go around shooting random places up. Don't look at some old newspaper though, they'll tell you other wise. I had to defend our dignity.

I turned to face her. "You really think," I replied angrily, "that we killed a bunch of people for just a ton of generators?"

She put her finger on her chin, as if she were giving some serious thought to the question. She shrugged her shoulders. "Pretty much."

I walked towards the cage and growled, "That is not the type of people we are!"

"From the way you're treating us right now, that's how it seems like."

I took a deep breath. Haley was seriously getting on my nerves right now. I felt like I might explode, and my crew's seen what's happened when I explode.

It was a good thing that Lui came down the stairs when he did, or else I probably would have killed Haley by that point. I know I had a promise to keep, but damn, this girl was making it hard.

"Vanoss," he said, glancing at Haley who was staring defiantly at me from behind the bars, "dinner's ready in half an hour."

I nodded and backed away from the cell, my eyes never leaving Haley's. It was as if she was daring me to come back and prove to her the monster she thought of me. Lui must've seen the look on my face cause' he put a hand on my shoulder. When I turned to look at him, he shook his head. He's right, I thought, she's not worth it. I followed him up the stairs.

______________________________________________________________________________

I sank into the warm water until it rested at my shoulders. I sighed as the water seeped into the aches and bruises of the day. It's hard to believe that just today I: was attacked, mugged, rescued, found someone important, took them prisoner, and almost killed a member of their group. In other words, some crazy ass shit.

I soaked in the bath for about fifteen minutes before dinner. I changed into a pair of black sweatpants and a grey t-shirt. Taking a look in the mirror, I trudged down the stairs to the dining room. All of our bedrooms being on the third floor, it was quite a bit of a walk. Our dining room is in the hotel's buffet room, which is located around the back of the hotel. Walking into the room, I saw Lui and Marcel cooking some food on our grill. We actually have more grills and mini stoves in storage, but until this one breaks, they'll stay there.