grilled cheese night

-25: don't dream it's over by crowded house-juke box song
------------------------

"Cameron? Why don't you be a gentleman and take your friend out to dinner, yeah? In sure she would love to go with you." His mom says as we step into the living room. She was sitting on the couch, cutting coupons out of a shop rite catalog, watching the news.
"Mom I bet sh-"
"Cameron?" She turns towards him and glares.
"Fine. Get in the car." He tells me, picking up the car keys from the kitchen counter. I step outside and they sky seemed to have gotten chillier since we were out here 10 minutes ago. The sky looked like sherbet: pinks and oranges and yellows. All swirled together to make one citrusy flavor. I never liked sherbet. But I liked this kind.
"Are you going to get in?" He snaps, as he honks the horn. I nod, and slip into the passengers seat. It only takes us a couple minutes before he parks the car in front if a diner.
"It's grill cheese night." He tells me.
"And I love grill cheese." He smiles, rubbing his hands together. I roll my eyes and step out of the car, walking next to him up the stone steps. He opens the door for me, and I slip off my jacket inside. He places his hands in his pockets and waits for someone to offer us a table. The place wasn't even crowded. It was empty, actually. Eventually though, a lady comes out in jeans and a polo, and sits us down in a booth.
"2 hot chocolates." He tells her.
"But I wante-"
"2 hot chocolates." He says again. She scribbles it down then walks away.
"Okay. I know you told me not to snoop, but wh-"
"I don't want to tell you." He says, interrupting me.
"Cameron, please. I'm so cur-"
"I don't give a damn. I don't like to talk about it." He says, stirring the hot chocolate.
"Now that that's over, I need to ask you a question."
"What?"
"Are you one of those girls who just agreed to help me with this because you wanted to fuck me, or do you really want to help me?" He asks, taking a sip. My face scrunches up from his words.
"I don't want to have sex with you. I just met you." I laugh. He shrugs and wipes his face.
"Eh. I have to ask, you know?"
"No, I really don't know."
"Because I'm a virgin."He whispers, but smiles.
"You? There's no way." He nods his head.
"Saving it for the lucky lady I am going to marry." He holds up a finger.
"That's pathetic. Even I'm willing to give up my virginity before marriage."
"Well, then why haven't you?"
"Because who would want to have sex with me. I'm a chubby 17 year old with weird shaped hips and a size 16 in jeans." I laugh, stirring the drink.
"Tons of guys would want to fuck you."
"Oh yeah? Like who?" I ask. He stares at the ceiling for a second.
"Bryan McCormick." He says
"Ew. No way."
"How about Matt Bravatone?"
"The same Matt that puked after the mile? No thank you." I say. The lady comes back and asks for our orders.
"2 grilled cheeses."
"But I wante-"
2 grilled cheeses." He says again. I roll my eyes at him.
"Stop doing that. It's impolite." I laugh at his remark.
"Me? Impolite? What about you?"
"What about me?"
"You won't even let me order!"
"Isn't the guy supposed to order for the girl?" He asks. I slump down in the booth and cross my arms.
"Your friend Allison. I think she's hot." Cameron says, inspecting his sandwich.
"Yeah? You think so?" I take a bit of the grilled cheese. He nods and makes a "mhm" sound.
"I think she would fuck you." I laugh. He smiles and stares out the window.
"I think everyone would." He chuckles.
"Not me."
"No? How come?"
"You might be hot, but you're a douche." He laughs and then puts a quarter into the little juke box on the table.
"Pick a number." He says. "01 through 100."
"25." I tell him. He dials it in and the song booms through the diner. He stands up and puts his hand out for me. I grab it, a questioned look on my face. He puts his hands on my waist, and then places mine around his neck.
"This is when you're supposed to put your head on my chest." He whispers to me. I roll my eyes and smile, putting my head on his chest, my ear filled with music.
"What am I getting myself into?" I whisper to him.
"I should say the same." He whispers back.
"I don't usually fall in love the fast. Or fall in love, in general."