she and i

cameron
I run my fingers over the dusty record player in her room. It was like it was just yesterday that she was singing and dancing around in her room back in New York, singing along to Bowie and Joel. She was so happy. I pick up the record and place it on the turn table, putting the needle to the disk and waiting for a tune.
"Heroes..." She says, my face turning towards hers. She looked so lovely standing there, with her yellow sweater and jeans. Her sneakers were untied and her hair was a bit messy, but it was okay. That didn't matter.
"1999 remastered version. She loved him; Bowie." I tell her. She nods and takes a seat on the floor.
"We should have a remembrance." She says, holding out both her hands. I look at her, tilting my head a bit.
"Just sit. Call Nash." She tells me.
"Nash! Would you co-"
"I'm here! What happened?" He asks. Lily holds out her hand to him. He grabs it, taking a seat.
"What are we d-"
"A remembrance!"
"Okay! Okay!" He chuckles. We all sit on the floor of a the dead girls bedroom, and close our eyes. The room was so quiet, but it was as if I could hear everyone thoughts running through my mind. The song was ending, and I feared that mine was too. I felt as if I was dying a bit by remembering something I had tried so hard to forget. So hard to shut out. But I realized that in this very moment, the moment we were all holding hands and remembering the past, that these were my friends. And they were going to be my friends for several years to come. Maybe this is what she would have wanted. For me to make new friends. To meet new people. These were my new people.
She was my new people.
The girl sitting next to me that was grasping my hand ever so tightly, was my people. My new people. She was ever so kind and utterly gorgeous. I had thought about her so many times in my head before, that it was like my thoughts were screaming to get out, and I was forcing myself not to tell her how beautiful and intelligent she was. And how kind and sweet. How caring she was towards everyone, even if she disliked them. She was so perfect. So, so perfect. And I needed to tell her. God, I need to tell her.
"Lily?"
"Hm?" She says, peeping one eye open. She looked so cute there, almost as if she was trying to wink but failing.
"I...uh...the song stopped." I say, releasing my hand from hers and scratching the back of my neck. Was I really sweating this much? My palms were clammy and my neck was damp. But I needed to tell her. I needed to tell her how infatuated I was by her.
"Lily I just want you to know th-"
"What are you kids doing?" Mrs. Linder asks. And there it goes. Out the window, down the street, took a cab to bora bora and shipped to Acapulco for a lifetime vacation in best friends forever town.
"A remembrance." Nash says. She smiles, then crosses her arms.
"I think it's time for you all to head back home. It's getting late." She says. We nod and leave the room. But I stay back. I pull an old record from backpack out, and place it on the table.
"This was your birthday present. I know you'll be dancing to it in heaven. I'll join you someday. We all will. My people and I. My person and I." I say.
"She and I."