A Startling Discovery

I woke up the morning after the attempted robbery still feeling the pain in my head, but I didn't feel as dizzy as the night before. I sat up and looked around the room, noticing that the boys had really cleaned up while I was asleep. As I went to stretch my arms, Dean came strolling around the corner with a tray of delicious looking breakfast foods and set it on the table in front of me. "All of this is for me?" I was in shock. "After the day you had yesterday, you need your energy," he said with a smile. "Did you cook all this or did you run out to the diner?" I winked. "Actually, Sam cooked this for you," Dean said with a smile. "Where is my sweetheart this morning?" I asked, taking a bite of an English muffin. "Last I checked, he was in the kitchen, loading the dishwasher," Dean responded. "You two have been pretty busy this morning, haven't you?" I said with a smile. "You have no idea, princess," Dean answered. "But at least the entire house is completely spotless. The only thing left is to fix the broken pane in the back door." I grabbed some more food and started stuffing my face as Sam joined us in the living room. "I see someone is enjoying my cooking," he said with a smile. I took a drink of orange juice, then said, "It's absolutely delicious, babe. Thank you." "You're welcome, baby," he said as he kissed my forehead. "How's your head feeling today?" "I still have a slight headache," I told him, "but the dizziness is gone." "The swelling has gone down a lot," Dean noticed. "That's always a good sign." After I had finished every last bit of food on my plate, I turned to the boys and said, "So what's on the agenda for today?" Dean and Sam looked at each other, then at me, and Dean said, "The police are coming to get a rough sketch of this would be robber." "Oh," I said. "That's perfect. I saw his face clear as day. Should be easy enough to describe." "There is one other thing, sweetie," Sam was being completely serious. "The guy wasn't lying about the diamond." "Wait, you mean..." I started to say, but couldn't get the right words going. Dean answered. "I went out to the shed to clean up the mess you left when you cut yourself free. The light from the sun was reflecting through the small window and gleaming off of something, so I went to investigate and found this in one of your grandfather's toolboxes." He placed a nice sized diamond on the table in front of me. I just stared in what could only be described as a mixture of amazement, awe, and horror. My poppy really HAD stolen a diamond from this kid's family! He had to have a good reason, though, right? I didn't know what to say at that moment, so I just sat in silence. Sam sat next to me and put his arms around me. "Everything is going to be alright, baby. You didn't know about the diamond, obviously. Your grandfather was the only one besides this guy's family who did, and he's not here to explain his reasoning. The cops will understand." As if right on cue, the doorbell rang. Dean placed the diamond back in his pocket for the time being and went to answer the door. When he returned, he had a young officer with him and someone I could only assume was the sketch artist. Introductions were made, and the artist sat down across from me, her book opened and ready for my description. The cop spoke up first. "When you're finished with the description of the perpetrator, I'd like to get your account of what happened," he told me. "Yes, sir," I responded. Sam and Dean escorted the cop into the kitchen and I knew it was go time. "Are you ready?" the sketch artist asked. "As I'll ever be," I replied. "The kid I saw was about 17 to 18 years of age. He stood about 5 feet, 9 inches. His hair was blonde with some brown streaks mixed in. He had steel blue eyes, no facial hair, and an earring in his left ear." "I'd say you got a pretty darn good look at him," the artist said. "When someone is holding a gun in your face, you try to take notice," I responded. "Just in case it's the last face I ever get to see, you know?" The artist nodded in reply. "We can call the boys back in here now, right?" I asked. "Absolutely," she said. "I've got what I need." I yelled toward the kitchen, "You three can come join us now." Sam and Dean followed the cop back into the living room. The cop sat down across from me in the chair next to the sketch artist. "Are you ready to give me your account of what happened?" he asked me. "I was sitting in this very spot, getting ready to watch television, when I heard the sound of breaking glass," I started. "I got up to investigate, and saw that someone had thrown a rock through my back door window. Thinking it was just a childish prank, I turned to get my broom and dustpan out of the kitchen and met with the barrel of a gun. I looked up at the potential shooter, and saw a young kid, about 17 or 18. I politely asked him what he wanted, and he started rambling off about a family diamond that was stolen years ago. I told him he had the wrong house, but he insisted that his father tracked the thief down to this location. The only other people who ever lived here were my grandparents. I grew up with them." "Were your grandparents known thieves?" the cop asked. "No sir," I replied. "That's why I was a little thrown off by this kid's claims. But I honestly didn't know much about my own grandparents until recently. And I'm still finding things out as we speak. Not so much about my grandmother, but about my grandfather. I assume the boys here have filled you in on what they do for a living?" "Yes," the cop answered. "I believed I worked a case with them once before a few years back." "Well I recently found out that my father and my grandfather were also in the same line of work," I told him. "So while I didn't want to believe what this kid was saying, I also knew deep down that there was a possibility that he could be telling the truth. The only problem was, he had ransacked this entire house and came up empty." "Are you absolutely sure he didn't find anything?" the cop asked. Dean stepped in. "We're positive, because my brother and I cleaned up the mess and found nothing inside the house. It wasn't until I went outside to clean up the shed where this kid trapped Sammi that I found this." He took the diamond out of his pocket and handed it to the cop. "Sammi's not in any trouble for this, is she officer?" Sam asked. "It's very clear to me that she had no idea it was even here," he replied, then turned his attention back to me. "And if what you're telling me about your family is true, that you still don't know a lot about who they were, then I cannot hold you accountable for their actions." "So what's the next step?" I asked him. "I don't need anything else from you," he said with a smile. "We will have to compare this diamond to the one that was stolen, but it will get back to its rightful owner. And this kid will be locked up for trespassing and attempted robbery." The cop stood up and started walking toward the door. He tipped his hat to me and said, "Thank you for your time, ma'am. You have been most helpful." He shook Sam's hand, then Dean's, and he and the sketch artist took off. Sam walked over and took a seat next to me. Dean sat in the chair recently vacated by the officer and said, "What a day, huh?" "It never ceases to amaze me that I find out something new about my family almost every day without even trying," I replied. "I'm going to need a vacation from this vacation!" The three of us laughed and finished the day with another wonderful home-cooked meal and a movie.