Time To Lay Claim To The Evidence. - Chapter 2

3 years later.

I yawned. It was way too early to be getting up. I lifted my head up off of my desk, groggily closed my book and checked my phone. 4:49 AM. I must have drifted off whilst I was finishing off my homework project for R.E. I didn't need that much sleep anymore, just around 3/4 hours. Other angels don't even need to sleep at all, which is something I'm working on!

"UUUGGGGHHH!" I groaned loudly as I pretended to be a zombie. I hobbled over to my bed and landed face first into the pillow. I made a thud as I wiggled to lie on my back. Ruby grunted in my direction.

"Brooklyn Novak! Shut your face, some people are trying to sleep!" She yelled at me from the other room. Good for her, she didn't need to finish homework last minute. I sighed, slipped under the covers, and switched on my radio, mainly to irritate Ruby.

"Brooke! Listening to music at 4 in the freaking morning is a good way to be thrown out!" She shouted, and I heard a loud thud. Ruby had probably covered her head with her covers in a rage. I kept it on, and listened to the radio. I smirked when my favourite song started to play.

"He woke up from dreaming and put on his shoes, 

Started making his way past 2 in the morning,

He hasn't been sober for days."

The radio sang to me, and I let the lyrics float over me as I made a fort under my blanket and sat and read a book for a few hours.

When I finally emerged from my book, I threw off the blanket and was greeted by Ruby's face glaring at me from the edge of my room, in the archway of my door.

"What time is it?" I asked.

"Hmm... 'round 9?" She replied, a smile playing on her cheeks.

"Are you serious?! We have a lesson at 9:30!" I exclaimed.

"I know." Smirked Ruby. I scowled at her but I had no time to argue. I grabbed a pile of my clothes and ran to the bathroom. I put on a black vest top, light grey cardigan and black skinny jeans and did my hair and makeup best as I could. 

I ran outside down the stairs, through the hall and across the campus. Ruby waved at me from out of the library window. She always skips R.E lessons, and I never really know why. Ruby and I are completely opposite, for example, she is always on time, whilst I'm always around 10 minutes late, and she's a human and I'm an angel. Okay, little too far there. I sighed and sat down in my seat, to a class of students staring at me like I had just eaten a kitten. The professor cleared his throat and began his lecture again. I slumped back in my chair and gazed out of the window. I like Religious Education, but sometimes it's hard to concentrate when you're sat right next to the window, with birds chirping and the trees gently blowing in the wind...

"Miss Novak, since you seem to think you don't need to listen to this lesson, how many pillars of Islam did I say there were?" The professor looked at me from across the hall. I sighed.

"5." I replied. Seriously, we're not going to play this game are we?

"Give me one of the 10 commandments." He barked back, clearly trying to outsmart me. I began to look out of the window again, he was boring me now.

"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour." I told him, sticking my nose in the air. The professor then cocked his nose up at me and turned back to face the class. A few minutes later, the bell rang to signify the end of the lesson.

I casually strolled out of the Religious Education block and met up with Ruby, who was slouched up against the wall opposite our room.

"What's wrong with you? You've looked like a sad little puppy all day!" She giggled.