Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

Bam! Here I was, exactly 30 weeks pregnant on my 20th birthday. It landed on a Thursday so I did have work and so did Will, but I was looking forward to romantic night in. I knew he was making me a fancy meal and we were going to have a lovely comfortable night.

For around three weeks, I had loathed every time I had to get up and get out to work. Don't get me wrong, I was enjoying my job - it was the moving. My bump had grown well and the midwife was pleased with my progress but I was convinced my bump was heavier than I had been originally - and I wasn't exactly the skinny type!

However, I was in love with the baby in side of me, I was in awe of the fact that my daughter, a tiny human, was growing inside me. Every time I thought about it, I felt amazed and also happy. I didn't mind when she kicked my ribs. Yes, it hurt. But it was the contact, the fact I could really feel her. It also assured me she was okay. She was almost constantly sat on my bladder and I couldn't remember ever going more that two hours without needing to pee. It seemed that she was most active at 4o'clock in the morning, because I would lay on my back, missing being able to lay on my stomach, feeling her do cartwheels about the bump in which she was so clearly trying to get comfortable in. I would imagine that she was very comfortable, like how I felt in a bath... though I certainly missed my bubble baths and relaxation soaks!

My friends, or colleagues, at work had got me a cake and almost everyone of them had bought me something, but all of them had signed a big card for me.

"Aw, thank you!" I smiled, wondering how I'd get it all home. I did notice that most of the presents were concerned with my pregnancy but I was happy about this. I did need some maternity bra's as I had been stuck with sports bra's with nipple pads in them for far too long. My nipples had only started going brown in the last couple of weeks, and I'd noticed that my boobs had seriously started filling up - they felt huge!

"Are you ready for this little one?" Kelly asked.

"Ready as I'll ever be! I'm really appreciative of all these things, I like... it's good because I'm not having a baby shower. It's not a thing that's caught on here really," I replied, sipping my tea.

"Have you got everything for her?" Joanna smiled, looking at my bump. She had become a Mum 6 months ago and had reluctantly returned to work part-time, you could see that she was missing her bump. I wondered if I would feel the same once my little one was born.

"Well, I've had the cot ready for ages and I recently got a chest of drawers for all her clothes, they've been building up for a good two months!" I thought what else I'd got, almost forgetting how my home looked before I remembered, "I've now got a Moses basket, a baby bouncer and a box of clothes downstairs so I don't have to run upstairs should she be sick and stuff."

"You sound like your prepared honey," Kelly added.

"There's still a lot I need," I smiled, "I've realised that there's things like blankets, more bedding, things like that."

"I'll give you some," Sarah told me, "I don't need my cot bedding anymore, Lily is getting on for three and Neil's got the snip now. I'm quite glad, five kids are enough. I mean Roxy is already thinking about starting her own family!"

"I bet your scared of that!" I laughed.

"Not really," She smiled, "She's quite a maternal person my Roxy, quite different from the feisty boisterous child I once knew!"

"Well, I'm very excited to meet my little one, but I don't know how I'll cope if my bump gets much bigger. I can't see my feet, I ache like mad... still, it's quite easy working with the babies," I confessed.