18. Since when do cannibals fall in love with their food?

CHARLIES POV

As soon as we step into the room a hear a beeping of a heart monitor and I see a man sitting up in a bed. He's intensely concentrating on what looks like a game of solitaire.

"Sherry, I already took my pills." He says without looking up, "I don't like that you keep checking up on me."

"Daddy." Food whispers. Her hand is gripping onto mine and Jerry's head snaps up.

He has a tube in his nose and ivs sticking out of his arms. A grin spreads across his face making his eyes crinkle, "KAT!"

Kat lets go of my hand and crosses the room in three huge steps. Jerry opens his arms just in time to embrace her.

"Where have you been?" He asks after a few minutes.

She sits on the edge of the bed and he rubs her cheek with his hand. I shift uncomfortable. Maybe I should leave.

"With Charlie."

Jerry raises an eyebrow and seems to notice me for the first time, "I'm assuming you're Charlie."

"Yeah."

'yeah?' I'm so stupid. I should have said something more mature like; 'yes sir.'

He eyes me up and down and Kat takes his free hand in hers, "I'm so glad you're still alive."

He shakes his head, "I'm so glad you came back." He searches her face and smiles, "You look good; healthy."

Kat grins, "Well, Charlie has helped a lot with that."

Jerry looks over at me again, "What happened to marrying Jared?"

I wonder if I should slowly back out of the room. I really don't think he likes me. I should have said 'yes sir.' I'm so stupid.

Kat shakes her head, "I don't love him."

My head snaps up, does that mean she loves me?

No, there's no way. I'm a cannibal!

"You were so happy with him."

I raise an eyebrow. She was?

"No, I wasn't. I only pretended to be so you wouldn't worry."

"So you ran away instead?" Jerry asks a little angry.

"I didn't know what else to do. I couldn't marry him."

I want to comfort her, as her voice becomes distraught.

"Why didn't you tell me."

"I couldn't."

"Of course you could have."

He pulls her into his chest and pats down her hair, "You can tell me anything."

I wonder if she'll ever tell him my true eating habits.

"I couldn't tell you that."

"Why not?"

"You were so worried about what would happen to me if anything happened to you."

"I just want you to be happy."

She smiles, "I am happy... well now."

Jerry's eyes flash to me again and I can't help but grin like a fool. I make her happy.

"Because of him?"

I have a name... my smile falters a little.

"Yeah." She turns and grins at me before standing up and taking my hand.