Subject 021

I opened my eyes, gazing solemnly at the dreary gray walls. I think they may be the color of storm clouds on a rainy day, but I'm not sure. I don't remember the outside world.

As far as I know, I've been in these walls my whole life. Time ceases  to exist here. Day after day, it's the same routine. Or is it night after night? I don't know. I never know.

Soon, they'll come for me, the men in the pale white coats, and they'll take me off for the next adventure for the day. I always know how it will go, but at the same time, I don't.

As if on cue, one of the shiny silver walls slid apart, revealing a blindingly bright hallway outside.

"Subject 021, get up. It's time to go."

Subject 021? Oh right, that's me. I think that's what most people call a name? I don't know for a fact. I've never been called anything else in my life.

I slowly stood up, dragging my heavy shackles up with me. One of the white-coated men grabbed the chain at the end, and dragged me forward by the wrists. They moved at too fast of a pace; I stumbled as I attempted to keep my feet below me.

We reached a large white door at the end of the hallway, on the right wall. It opened automatically as we approached it, which never ceased to amaze me. It was like the door was actually alive. I liked to think that it was just like me, serving but a single purpose to the people around it.

I was led inside the familiar, large room, and led over to the bed in the middle. Everything was a blinding white here; every room and every hallway. There was a single chair in the middle of the room, which I was led over to as usual. I climbed up onto it and lied down, while the men shackled my wrists and ankles to the chair.

Most of the men walked to another door on the side of the room, entering a small area separated by glass. They began fiddling around with the strange machines inside. The one man remaining began fiddling with something on a tray. His back was to me, so I couldn't see what it was. The men in the glass room were fiddling around with the strange machines inside. Finally, the man near me turned around, facing me with a long, silver needle. Inside was a strange, red liquid.

"Now then, hold still Subject 021. We need to see if this one works on you."

He injected the needle into my arm and pressed the red liquid into my arm. He pulled away after, and put the needle down, standing back to watch. Within seconds, my veins began to pulse, and my body quickly thrummed with pain increasing by the second. I closed my eyes, and clenched my hands and teeth, trying to keep myself from yelling in pain. As the pain increased, my mind began to go blank. My back arched on its own accord, and a scream rich with pain flew from my mouth.

"She's reaching the breaking point! Just a little longer..!"

I barely processed these words as the pain swirled through the blood in my veins. As usual, my body was fighting the foreign substance in my veins. It felt like hours went by as I writhed in pain, strapped to the chair. Then, it suddenly all just stopped.

"Did it work..?"

I could see an odd object rotate over my head, delivering some kind of feedback to the machines in the glass room.

"Damn it! It didn't have any effect!"

Any effect? What were they talking about? Was that substance supposed to cause me more than just pain?

"How is she so immune to all our drugs?!"

Clearly disappointed with their results, the men left the glass room and came over to me. They unhooked me and shoved me off the chair, roughly escorting me back to the room I came from. They pushed me inside, causing me to trip and fall, then the wall slammed back shut. I sighed, brushing my long, white hair from my face as I watched the darkness of the room enveloped me again. That was all for the field trip outside my room. Tomorrow, it all begins again.