Adam

"Oh god..."

I ran my hand through my hair, taking the jar from Mason. My hand was shaking as I read over the note, then looked inside of the jar.  I was definitely not a queasy person, but this was enough to make my stomach turn, forcing me to avert my eyes.

"What is it, guys?"

Shit. I forgot Kelsi and Kiara was with us. I immediately attempted to hide the jar from them, but no such luck.

Kiara had somehow snuck behind me and stole the jar. "Ha nice try, Adam!" She held it up over her head, then brought it down to see what it was. Instantly she paled, turning white as a ghost.

"Kiara? Are you okay? What is it?" Kelsi asked, worried at Kiara's reaction.

Without a word, Kiara passed the jar over to Kelsi, looking pale and numb. Mason immediately rushed over to her, pulling her off to the side to talk to her.

Kelsi looked into the jar, and her eyes first widened in shock, then narrowed in fury. "Who's the bastard who did this?! I'll kill him!"

I went to say something, when I felt a presence moving towards us from the edge of the woods. I turned sharply, expecting danger of some sort. However, it was just Diana, walking out from the bushes. "Diana?"

She was acting oddly. She was pale as a ghost, just like Kiara, and was walking almost mechanically, like a marionette. She ignored me, and walked over to Kelsi. "Is....is that...." She kept walking, as if some force was pulling her. She looked into the jar, and froze. Her hands reached up, covering her mouth, her eyes widened immensely, and she slowly backed up. "N-no...oh my god..." And with that, the shock finally got her, and she passed out on the spot.

"Diana!" My body moved on its own, reacting as quickly as if I was in a fight. Within seconds I had made it to her, caught her in my arms. I sighed in relief, and gently brushed her white hair out of her face, then hoisted her up so I was carrying her bridal style.

"Kelsi, you're not doing anything rash. The three of you will return to base, that is an order. No one will do anything until I have talked to Rachael and we've come to a decision. Am I clear?"

Everyone nodded, a little numbly, but I still accepted it. Giving them a nod of my own, I started heading back to base, hoping they would follow.

~*~*~

Upon returning to base, I took Diana to my room, laying her gently on my bed. Since no one was here and Diana was asleep, I leaned down and softly kissed her forehead, before walking out, shutting my door behind me.

Mason and Kiara were no where to be found, which was probably for the best. Mason was most likely still trying to calm her down. Kelsi was obviously pissed off, but was at least still here, so I decided to bring her along as I headed to Rachael's office. I knocked once, then waited.

"Enter."

I opened the door and stepped inside, Kelsi following closely. Rachael immediately looked up. "Do you need something, Adam?"

I took the jar from Kelsi. "It seems our friends in the GKE have sent us a message." I placed the jar with the note on her desk, which she immediately picked up.

Rachael read the note in silence, then inspected the appendix sitting in the jar on her desk. "It appears so. Adam, take this jar down to Elizabeth, see what she can pull from it."

I nodded, and took the jar from her. She took the note and placed it in her stack of paper work, so I knew she wanted to keep it. I walked out with Kelsi fast on my heels.

"Who's this Elizabeth lady?"

Yep, she was still pissed off. Couldn't exactly blame her though; her and Elise seemed really close. "An old friend of Rachael's. She's also a scientist who's highly skilled in what she does. She's just a bit...odd."

Kelsi raised an eyebrow at me. "Odd?"

I nodded, "You'll understand when you meet her."

I walked to the back of the base, where there was a single room, isolated from the others. I tapped on the door a few times, and a small rectangle opened up near the top of the door, and a pair of dark eyes peered out.

"Who's there?"

"It's me, Adam. I have something I need you do look at for me."

The rectangle shut, and there was some clanking, then the door was pulled open, revealing a small, plump girl with bi colored eyes - one was a blue, the other a dark brown.

"....come on it."

She then turned and walked inside, not particularly caring if we followed or not.

I led the way inside her "lab", which looked like a play house full of machines and animatronics. She appeared out of nowhere suddenly, now wearing a white coat and gloves. She took the jar without a word and placed walked towards one of the machines.

"You can leave now."

Nodding, I grabbed Kelsi's arm, then turned and walked out.

We walked in silence for a moment, then Kelsi spoke up.

"Well. She was a...interesting woman."

I laughed. "I did warn you."

~*~*~

Going our separate ways, I decided to head over and check up on Diana. I walked into my room and shut the door behind me, noticing she was awake.

"Hey, how are you feeling?"

Diana was glancing around her surrounds curiously, but I got the feeling she already knew where she was. "I'm fine I guess. That jar earlier...that thing it there...what was it?"

Something about her innocent expression made me want to hide it from her - shelter her from the hideous truth. But I couldn't do that. Hiding things during a time like this was like handing someone their death warrant to sign.

"That was Elise's appendix, one of her organs. The GKE sent it to us as a message."

Diana nodded slowly, her eyes never leaving mine. "We're going to save her, right?"

I nodded earnestly. "I will make sure she's brought back to us. You have my word."

Diana nodded, a small smile on her face. She suddenly stood up and walked towards me. I stood where I was, watching her in confusion.

"Diana...?"

She didn't say anything, just kept walking until she was right in front of me. Then she leaned up on her tippy toes, and lightly pressed her lips to mine.

I stood still in shock for a second, still shocked as she pulled away.

Seeing my confusion she said calmly, "Elise told me that when you want to share you feelings for someone, you kiss them."

She was so innocent, so calm, it had me breaking into a smile. I knew right then in there, I loved this girl. And she loved me back.

I smiled upon this realization, and pull her closer to me, kissing her myself. I never loved anyone before, never kissed anyone before. I had also never felt so damn good before either.