Chapter Four

[Four]

*Shaye*

February 11, 2054

Today is the day Colton Daigle comes to bring me to the Prowler pack. The place I will have to learn to call my "home". 

I honestly wasn't looking forward to going. Why would I? I am leaving the only family I have left to a place where I will be demoted. I have been brought up and taught how to be the Luna my mother was... But that has to all be forgotten once I accept Colton as my mate. Not only will I just be labeled as a Beta, my power will diminish. 

All my Alpha capabilities; the extreme power and the supreme authority will simply vanish. I will have the instinct to speak my mind, however I will not be able to. Nile Daigle is not looking forward to having me. My father told me, after a long phone call with Nile. Apparently he told Colton to find another mate.

Well... 

Once I finish packing up my suitcases, I let out a sigh and look down at my outfit. Sweatpants and a sweatshirt. I am the definition of a bum right now. 

As much as I tell myself I don't care about my appearance; I'm not trying to impress Colton, I find myself in my closet. There is a slim choice of outfits, since most of my clothes are packed away. But I manage to find a pair of skinny jeans and a simple v-neck black t-shirt. I complete the outfit with black knee high boots and a simple cross necklace. 

Checking in the mirror, I shrug. Good enough. At least I gave an effort. 

I grab hold of a duffle bag, throwing it over my shoulder as I grab my two suitcases in my hands. I struggle to make it through the door frame of my room but once I do, I shuffle down the stairs where I drop the bags. 

Mason is sitting on the couch, his eyes flickering over to me. He is clearly unhappy. I haven't seen him smile since... I don't know when. "Come." He waves me over. I let out a sigh but walk over to plop down beside him. "I need you to do something for me." Mason says. 

I arch an eyebrow before nodding. "Anything." I say, signing as I speak. 

"I need you to get on Nile's good side. I need you to become his friend and gain his trust." I frown. Why does he want this? I plan to spend zero time with Nile. "Once he trusts you, I want you to learn everything you can on the Prowler pack. All the secrets, history... Everything. Then you will report back." 

"You want me to spy?" I ask, arching an eyebrow. Mason just stares at me, his expression blank. "I'm not going to do that." Even though I practically despise the Prowler pack, I will not snoop. We have an alliance with Nile and Colton and I will not be the cause for it to break. 

"You have to." 

"No, Mase. I don't. We need to move on; what Jenny and Tyler did was tragic. But that wasn't the Prowler pack. We can't blame them for mom's death." I tell him. I was slightly disappointed in how my brother was acting. How could he so simply speak about betraying all our father's work? He worked with our mother to create peace. And because two psychotic Alpha's murdered our mother, that means we get the liberty of betraying our treaty?

Maybe...

"I'm nearly your Alpha!" 

"No. You're not. Not anymore, Mason. Nile will be and I will respect him. Even if all he wants is to cast me out." Mason lets out a growl and combs a hand through his hair, getting to his feet. 

"If the Prowler pack attacks the Cipher pack, all the deaths will be on you." He snaps before storming out of the living room. 

I sigh, leaning back into the couch, placing a hand on my forehead. It hurts, to disappoint my brother. But he is asking me to go against everything that I have learned over the years. My father believes in peace; as do I