Chapter Fourteen

[Fourteen]

*Shaye*

March 3, 2054

Colton exits the bedroom, throwing on a shirt along the way. Letting out a sigh, I go to do the same. I have betrayed and hurt him.

I always knew that allowing Ryan to see me in my most private of forms was a mistake. Only Colton should be able to see me that way. But at the time I was desperate for friends and I was willing to do whatever it took to ensure our friendship.

Now I had to do whatever it takes to ensure Colton's forgiveness.

I run after Colton, shrugging on one of his over sized t-shirts and when I reach his side, I link my fingers through his own. Colton looks over at me, his blue eyes a shade darker as he gives my hand a squeeze. "Whatever Nile is here for, we'll handle it together." I promise, offering a small smile.

Colton nods his head and leads me into the living room where Nile, Uncle Travis and Uncle Jake are all standing. They stare each other down, size each other up and stand ready for an attack. I am tempted to roll my eyes. Male wolves are so dramatic.

I look over at Nile. He looks tired, his dark brown eyes adorning dark circles underneath and his dirty blonde hair is disheveled. He is dressed in a nice gray suit. His hands clench the moment he sees me but his eyes quickly flickers to his brother. Colton seems to tense up under his older brother's gaze, holding tight to my hand.

"What are you doing here, Nile?" Colton asks, pushing the question to my mind as well so I can hear him. My eyes stay on Nile so I can read his lips as he responds.

"I heard you are trying to find information about the Alchemists. That you think I am under some sort of curse..." I arch my eyebrow, wondering how he got that information. No one knows we are accusing Nile cursed other than Colton and myself.

"Yes. And what of it?" Colton demands, bringing me back to present and I watch Nile as he glares at his brother. He's not used to Colton being his equal... Colton is no longer someone who does his bidding, someone he can just push around.

Nile steps forward and Colton instantly uses our interlocked hands to pull me back a few steps and positions his body in front of mine. I gasp, quickly recovering and stepping forward to grab onto Colton's arm, stopping him from attacking his brother.

Nile only rolls his eyes as he reaches into his jacket pocket and pulls out a folded stack of papers. I watch with curiosity as he hands the papers to Colton.

"What is this?"

"That is all the Prowler pack has on the Alchemists. Hopefully it is of some help to you." Nile gives me one last look before he turns on his heels and walks out of the room. Once the door is closed, Colton turns to look down at me with the file in his hands.

I arch an eyebrow, wondering what exactly happened. How did he know that we needed this? That we were searching for the Alchemists? How much did he know? Did he understand what kind of curse he was under? Does he know what he is capable of? That his brother's life is threatened because of him?

I feel my stomach clench as I reach for the file, quickly flipping it open. As I read and look at maps, I can't help but smile. This is the missing piece. Everything we need to get us started. We finally have a starting point.

San Diego, California.

They aren't camped out in France as we had thought. They are in the States and not too far away.

Glancing back up at Colton, I bite my bottom lip and nod. "We've found them." I whisper. Colton can't help but grin at me before he swoops down and wraps his arms around my waist. He picks me up and places his head into the juncture of my neck as I rest my cheek on the top of his head.