Chapter Six

[Six]

*Shaye*

February 11, 2054

We pull into the Prowler pack, through the large black gates. I ask myself... Are they here to keep people out? Or people in?

Looking at the large pack house, I bite my bottom lip. No, it's not a dark, dreary house as seen in movies. In fact, the house has been renovated into a beautiful white plantation. The garden in spectacular, containing all kinds of flowers, sticking in the purple and blue color scheme. The driveway is long, it circles in front of the house and leads to a garage that is separate. It resembles a parking garage than just a normal two car-garage.

As the large white door rises, I can see about twenty cars neatly stored away. I want to ask how the cars in the  back were able to get out, but decide it's irrelevant. Colton parks the car and nods to a pack member who soon takes Colton's place beside me. I stare at him, my eyes instantly going to his bright green eyes. He offers a soft smile the same moment my door is opened and a warm arm sweeps me up. I squeal as Colton twists me and sets me gently on my feet. I stand in front of him, our chests nearly touching as I look up at him.

"I don't like being manhandled." I say. Colton only gives me a breath taking smile and grabs my hand, leading me toward the pack house. We walk on the newly paved pathway towards the white french doors. Colton drops my hand momentarily to grab the two handles and pull the doors open. I stare, he just does the whole dramatic, cinematic moment.

And he looks pretty damned good doing it, too.

Colton instantly returns his hand into my grip and steps into the house, keeping me close to his side. The set up of the house looks similar to my own. Or, my old one. Its open and light, with marble flooring and modern furniture. I look over at Colton and notice how uncomfortable he is in his own home. He refrains from touching the perfect off-white walls or the leather sofas. Even in the kitchen, he doesn't lean against the counters or even place a hand on the back of a chair. He just clenches my hand tightly and stands as tall as a soldier.

I turn and stare up at him, about to ask what was wrong when he turns and I watch as he clears his throat. "I don't like this look. Nile does. He enjoys having the most expensive furniture and having marble floors." Colton scratches the back of his neck and offers me a small smile before his head snaps to the left.

I follow his gaze to see Nile and his mate walk down the stairs to come face to face with us. Stella is smiling widely as she pulls away from Nile and wraps an arm around me. I hold tight to Colton's hand as I use my free hand to pat her back. "I am so thankful there is another girl in this house! The amount of testosterone between these two is suffocating." She says, jabbing her thumb to Colton and Nile.

The right corner of Colton's mouth quirks as Nile just stares at us. "Yes, well you have enough estrogen for two females in heat." Nile remarks. Stella gasps, crossing her arms to glare up at Nile. He just smiles at her.

I tell myself that is the only time I will see him smile. When he is talking to his mate... Because when he looks at Colton, all he does is frown and then glower at our joined hands. I go to pull away, in hopes of somehow saving this relationship. But Colton releases my hand and throws an arm around my shoulder. He presses me into his side and places a kiss to the top of my head. I gulp, watching as Nile nearly growls.

"Disgusting..." He mumbles, looking away. I feel my wolf rile up inside of me, causing me to growl. Colton detaches from me instantly and steps forward to place a hand on Nile's chest the same moment his brother advances me.

I feel Colton's growl vibrate through the house. This is exactly what I wanted to avoid. Stella steps beside me but I don't take my eyes off of Nile. "She is challenging me!" Nile shouts, pointing at me. Colton shakes his head but I don't see what he says.