Chapter Forty-Two: Rubber Band

||Chapter Forty-Two: Rubber Band||

There is an important Author's note at the end of this chapter! Please read :)

Cameron's POV:

"Come back here mocosa!" I growled out, jumping from my position on the couch. 

Athena, my eight year old cousin, giggled hysterically but as my feet pounded on the floorboards, she squealed. Her long, caramel-brown hair sprung around as she ran around the living area, I chased after her, keeping to a moderately slow pace on purpose because she was smaller than me. If I wanted to, I could have caught her within five seconds.

"I'm not a brat! You're a meany." My evil little cousin pouted at me from behind the couch, which I laughed at from in front.

I shook my hair as popcorn fell down and onto the mat. 

"Really? Because this begs to differ, Athy." I huffed.

"You're not lettin' me watch Sofia The First." Hazel-brown eyes widened at me as Athena tilted her head, applying the puppy dog look to the situation.

Smart girl.

"I said you could watch it after my CSI show." I whined. What? I was watching my programme first!

Both my parents were out so I was stuck babysitting Athena because her parents were at a festival of some sort. I was pretty sure dad said it was a music festival but whatever, that didn't matter, I still had to look after the little mocosa.

"But I wanna watch it now!" She whined back at me. Why were little kids so damn impatient, whiny and stubborn? I thought to myself as I huffed, reaching for the TV remote. 

"Fine and do you want more popcorn too my highness?" I asked sarcastically.

"Okie Dokie! Chop chop me little minion." Athena waved a dismissive hand at me, shooing me off. I just rolled my eyes and complied, making my way to the kitchen to microwave some buttered popcorn.

Once I had 'The Queen' settled watching her show with popcorn, I pulled out my phone and sent a text to Thea to confirm our talk tomorrow. 

After texting back and forth a little, we - well, Thea - decided to move the talk to tonight instead. I was actually pretty happy about that, it meant I got to see the love of my life sooner and try mend things with her. 

The day seemed to drag on even slower when the knowledge of seeing Thea later was all that clouded my brain. I hated how life worked that way. If you were looking forward to something, life decided to proceed at a snail's speed but when you were despising the thought of an upcoming event, well, the speed towards said event would be one of a cheetah. 

So si, life was majorly unfair. 

Eventually, after what felt like more than four hours, Athena's mother and my aunt were at the door thanking me for looking after the little mocosa. 

"It's not a problem at all." I said as my aunt Rosa wrapped me into a familiar warm embrace that brought back childhood memories with her and my uncle, along with my many cousins of course. Her hug granted me with nostalgia and it was very much welcomed. 

"Oh, you lovely niño, you need to visit again soon!" Aunt Rosa exclaimed as she pulled away and tied back her dark caramel locks into a hair tie. As she did so, I observed the visible lines on her naturally darker face that expressed the amount of stress she w         s under. She also had bags under eyes that suggested she wasn't getting a lot of sleep.

"I will make sure to come around and see the familia. Le parece bien tía Rosa?" I asked her if she was okay in Spanish. We used to always only speak Spanish when visiting family bur since it had been a long time, the language started fading in our everyday vocabulary.