Chapter 4

We walk together through the sand to the old lighthouse. The lighthouse is just an abandoned building to the peacekeepers and most citizens. An old crumbling reminder of a time before the war. But to those like Dath and I, it's a secret meeting place for rebels all across Panem. It also acts as an entrance to a rebel transport system that stretches underneath every district including 13. Dath recruited me a few months after we met, and he took me here to the lighthouse. It was how I first arrived in District 13 and learned of the Rebellion. I've been with them ever since.

"How's Beth?" I ask out of genuine curiosity. With all the time spent at their house over the years, Beth, Dath's mom, has become an additional parental figure in my life.

"She's good." He replies, looking at me. His mom has always had some minor mental problems from the war, but she's very sweet and makes really good brownies. "How's your family?"

"Worried, but then again. Who isn't?" I know I am. Although the chances of me getting picked are slim, I still worry. There is still that chance.

"Yeah." He says quietly. Could he be worried about me? I wouldn't doubt it, we've known each other for what seems like forever. Okay...not forever...it's been nearly five years, but it seems much longer.

"Who do you thinks going to get picked tomorrow?" I say even though I already know the answer. This question always brings out the drama queen in Dath...or rather, beauty queen. He can never resist.

"Well if I was still reaping age they would definitely pick me. They only didn't because they didn't want to mess up my amazing face." He says in all seriousness. I can't help but laugh. "What? You think they would want to mess this up?" He strikes a ridiculous pose, and then almost falls into the sand as he tries to keep walking through it. This causes me to laugh more. His laughter joins mine as he kicks sand at me. I kick some back. Our laughs cease after several more kicks. We must continue on, otherwise we'll be late.

"So, any ideas what the games will be like this year? Afterall it is the 4th annual, 2nd edition Hunger Games." I say, mimicking the ridiculous Capitol accent.

"Yeah I know, I'll tell you and the others at the meeting." Dath has always been close, and high up with the rebels. I wouldn't be surprised if he had been with them his whole life. He tries to kick sand at me again.

"Dath!" I shout, "No more!" He laughs and I run towards the lighthouse. He takes off after me, his feet pounding against the warming sand.