Chapter 23: Allies

Dath's POV

I sit in the Command Center in District 13 with Beetee and the remainder of the council to watch the games. Since the team was reaped, Beetee has kept the broadcast going so we can watch them. It's been a relief seeing them survive through the first day, even with them picking up a stray. I chuckle at the thought. It was probably Jem's idea to include Jace, but he hasn't complained and has been able to keep up with the rigorous pace set by the team. He also seems smart and managed to get a decent score with training.

Speaking of training. Command became very worried when Meg's score was revealed. She scored an 11, and she should know better to not paint a target on her back. Then the call from Haymitch came in, causing an even greater worry. Meg didn't do anything extravagant to obtain such a score so someone fixed it so she'd have that target. She also voiced her own concerns to Haymitch about a turncoat in the midst. I didn't know there was a true concern for my team until I was collected to return here with my mom. There was a small possibility about a month back, and I only know of it because of my mom's communicator. She's an honorary member of the council due to her part in the last war, and they alerted her of this possibility. I managed to see it when I went to give it to her, curiosity getting the better of me. I'm happy I did now. But, of course they wouldn't tell Us, the actual team members, when they initially suspected it was in our group, and that fact Meg is figuring it out on her own while in the Capitol is concerning within itself.

She obviously saw something, especially to call out one of her own teammates. This of course spurred an additional investigation looking into this individual. I'm not allowed to participate or even know the identity of the one she suspects as I'll be too biased considering it's my team. Since Haymitch made contact, I haven't been able to sleep. My appetite has been poor, too worried for my team with a possible traitor amongst them. I have even gone as far as trying to sneak into the meetings, eavesdropping, and attempting to pry any information I could out of the council members to anything on who it may be. Nothing. Well, maybe not nothing. I did manage to get a 'he' out of one of them. So it's between Collin and Karter then. My money would be on Collin. He would have plenty of contacts being from District Two, and it wouldn't be difficult for him to feed information to the wrong people. Not to mention how close he's gotten with Meg these past few months, why all the sudden is he getting cozy with her?

Interviews last night were interesting, the team did well for themselves, but Meg's change in behavior was astounding. I know she's good in front of a camera, the council has only been coaching her for the past five years, but that was something else. I know her too well to know that the level of arrogance she displayed is not her. At all. My guess is she was trying to draw a certain reaction out of someone, I just wish I knew who it was for sure. I know I'm more suspicious of Collin, but I'd probably be on the same page with her if the cameras would've shown the other tributes behind her during the interviews. Maybe then I'd be able to narrow it down further.

Then there was Jem. She looked so beautiful in her dress and while nervous she did a wonderful job answering the questions carefully to not give away too much. Then the boyfriend question came up. It's complicated, Jem? I shake my head thinking about it again. I got a few looks from the Council and my mother when she spoke about what happened in the Justice Building. Everyone here knows it was me in there, and that I kissed her. Aunt K only shook her head at me, telling me I can't get into a relationship with my own teammate, it only makes things more dangerous while out in the field.

Movement catches my eyes, bringing my gaze back to the viewing screen. It was Meg, turning in her sleep. She moves herself towards Collin and he throws an arm around her middle, bringing her closer. Augur Witwell, the night time announcer even lets out an awe seeing the movement. I roll my eyes, even if this was a normal circumstance, they'd never make it out to be together. I look around the room, and see how uncomfortable the council looks. I don't know if it's because he's a suspected traitor or if it's uncomfortable seeing the teammates display any sort of romantic affection towards one another.