Chapter 20: Interviews

Jem's POV

My interview outfit is a lightweight tea-length dress in a soft coral color. Its short sleeves are translucent and flow against my shoulders. The bodice is modest with a sweetheart cut that hugs my small curves flatteringly. The form of the bodice drops nicely to a lovely skirt that likes to sway with my movement. It's very feminie and very pretty, I must admit. Much better than the awful opening ceremony getup they dressed me in.

They give me a dainty pearl necklace to pair with the dress, and simple pearl studs in my ears. I look at my shoes, and the thick heeled sandal is a nude color with pearls along the straps to add an extra touch of elegance. Seriously. What happened to my original stylist... this can't be his work. Even my hair is more natural looking, with my curls actually intact.

They added some extra bounce to my curls, and pulled a small section from the right side and pinned it back with a pearl comb. My makeup is natural, highlighting my freckles that dust my nose and cheeks. My eyes are lined with bronze and copper colors, pulling the green and gold colors out.

I sway in the mirror, watching the skirt sway with me and wrap around my legs before falling back around my calves. I twirl, pulling the skirt out around me, and I can't help but laugh. It's so fun and free flowing. I still can't believe how nice I look! I actually feel pretty!

A knock on the door disrupts my staring and Barty enters the room. Wow, I'm amazed he even knocked. He still looks freakish as ever, and I swear his breath smells of garlic when he goes to reach for me. I follow him out of the room and down to the stage doors where some of the other tributes are waiting. I don't see Meg though, she must still be getting ready..or hiding.

Caesar says something and I can hear the audience through the doors. Damn, this place must be packed. I can feel my palms start to sweat. Great, this is what I need! This dress is light enough that if I start sweating, you'll see everything. Oh my god, what if my butt starts to sweat, and I have a butt outlined on my dress. What if- Jace taps my shoulder, disrupting my mental ranting. He looks really nice with a basic navy suit and a coral colored tie to match my dress.

"You look really nice Jem." He says, fidgeting with the sleeve of his jacket.

I give him a smile. "Thank you. You look really good too." He gives me a thankful smile in return. A small television by the stage entrance is suddenly turned on, and we're able to watch the interviews of the tributes before us. Afterwards, we were instructed there would be chairs set up for us on an elevated platform behind the stage where we're to watch the remainder of the interviews.

District One's tributes did very well, not that it's surprising. Same with Collin's district partner. They're all very articulate and I swear everyone, sans Collin, in the first two districts are extremely attractive. Now, don't get me wrong, Collin is attractive..if you're into the whole muscles and scowling look. Cough. Cough. Meg.

The stage door opens again, allowing Collin to take the stage. He does so with his typical swagger, with more cockiness and a smug smile. His look matches his opening ceremonies look with a gold blazer atop a white button down. He has the top two buttons undone, showing some skin from his chest. He also wears black tuxedo pants with a gold stripe running down the outside of his legs with a pair black shoes that almost seem to have gold dust sprinkled on them. Gold dust? Wow, what is with them dressing District Two in gold? Anyway, what I'm most shocked to see is his hair actually styled and not just run through with his fingers.

I have to admit, his stage face is fantastic, he instantly changes to another person when he walks out there. He made it through his interview as the perfect confident tribute typically seen from his district. Even Caesar commented that he has the makings of a Victor. I look to the back of the row, hoping to catch Meg, but she still isn't out with the rest of us. Huh. Strange.