S I X

I wake up and find that Damon is gone, but a card is sitting in his place. I pick it up and read it.

Lydia,

Sorry I had to leave before you woke up. I hope you are still my best friend. And please, don't tell anyone about you-know-what. I'll see you at the party tonight. Save me a dance.

Damon

I forgot all about the founders party tonight. I guess I'm going by myself since Elena is going with Stefan and Damon is probably taking Caroline. If this jealousy could just go away, that would be fantastic, I tell my brain. Before I could get out of bed, Bonnie bursts through my bedroom door.

"Mr. Tanner's dead!" She yelled.

"I heard." I say with a frown. I didn't like the guy, but that doesn't mean he deserved to die. And I also don't like how I have to lie to Bonnie because I can't tell her it was Damon.

"He's dead." She whispered and burst into tears. I leaped out of bed and pulled her into a big hug. I have a feeling that this is about more than Mr. Tanner's death.

"What's going on? What's wrong?" I asked her as I lead her to my bed and we sat down on the edge.

"8, 14, 22. I kept seeing those numbers yesterday..." She starts but I cut her off.

"Yeah, I actually started to see those numbers too. I kept doodling them in my notebook during all my classes. I think your mumbo-jumbo got to my head." I said while laughing but she had this shocked expression on her face and my smile slowly disappeared. "What?" I asked hesitantly.

"This is just...really starting to freak me out."

"Bonnie, it's fine. You don't have anything to worry about."

"Grams says this is all happening because I'm a witch."

"Bonnie, that's crazy. You can't actually have started to believe your Grams' crazy talk."

"Yeah..you're right...it's just crazy talk." She said hesitantly. "So, you wanna go with me to the founders party tonight."

"Of course Bon Bon! Ugh, you're a life saver. I thought I was gonna have to go to this thing alone." We laugh and talk a little bit after that, and then she leaves. I walk her to the door and then when I enter the living room, I see Aunt Jenna throwing food at the t.v.

"Scum ball... Scum bucket..."

"Who are you talking to?" Elena asks, walking in to the room as well.

"Him. The news reporter, also known as Logan "Scum" Fell. Did your mom ever tell you why I moved away from Mystic Falls?"

"No way. You and him? He's cute." I observe as I plopped down on next to her, Elena walking away into the kitchen over to some box with a bunch of mom and dad's stuff in it. I recognize dad's pocket watch.

"He is not cute. There is nothing cute about him." She says, then turns and looks at Elena. "What are you doing with that?" She asks her. And I'm wondering the same thing.

"I went yesterday and got it from the safety deposit box. Mom had told Mrs. Lockwood she would loan it to the founders council for their heritage display." She says while she looks through the box. Then, Jeremy comes into the room, joining the conversation.

"How much do you think this stuff is worth? You know, like on Ebay?" He asks while picking up the pocket watch. But Elena quickly snatches it away.

"You're not gonna find out."

"That stuff is mom and dad's. You can't just give it away." I say while looking at all the objects that hold so many memories of our parents. How are we just supposed to say goodbye to all of this.