Chapter 18. Bright

AN: filler chapter, sorry. Figured it'd be better to have something up than nothing. Next chapter should be up by saturday, hopefully.

~

It was surprisingly difficult to find the "hands of God" - at least, more difficult than I had expected, given that I was supposed to be guided by a glowing path and all. Of course, nearly everything was glowing now, so that made sense.

Except for me.

I had been trying to avoid the thought for the past few hours, but it lurked on the edge of my mind, springing back every time I managed to slip away from it.

"Harry?" I asked.

"Yeah?"

"So you know how I've been seeing blue, right?"

"Mm."

"I didn't tell you, but the blue I see - it's magic. I mean, what I see is magic."

Harry paused, turning to look at me. "You see magic?"

I nodded. "Before, it only happened randomly. Every once in awhile. And then, it was only in really, really powerful things. Wands, enchanted objects. But then I started seeing it more, and now..." I trailed off. "Now I can't stop seeing blue." My voice was quiet and hoarse. "I don't know if it's because we're getting closer to the temple, but it's so bright. Everything is so bright. The path, the trees, you." I closed my eyes, but the light flared straight through. I couldn't escape it. "It used to be so pretty." I murmured.

"Draco, what's wrong?" I could hear the concern in his voice, even if I couldn't see it."

"The magic in you is so bright." I managed. "It's blinding. But..." I raised my arm, studying the veins visible on my pale wrist. "I don't have it."

Wordlessly, he put his hand on my shoulder.

"It happened before." I continued. "Back at the school, at Madam Pomfrey's. My blood didn't glow. I thought - I hoped that maybe I was wrong, that magic didn't travel through blood, that it wasn't the carrier... " I sighed, blinking back the wetness gathering in the corners of my eyes. "But it is. That's why I can't do magic. Whatever happened to me, whatever curse this is, it didn't just stop me from casting. I don't... I don't have magic."

It was a minute or two before Harry spoke. "We're nearly there. Let's figure this out, yeah? Whatever happens, we can solve this. And the sooner we do, the sooner you're back to Hermione. Maybe whatever took away your magic can give it back, too."

I nodded my head. "Yeah, you're right. Sorry."

"No, I mean, it's fine. It's good to talk about stuff like that. And I didn't know any of that, so."

I nodded and continued walking.