Chapter 13: The Truth Comes Out

1 month later

Eldon and I walk into studio A hand in hand.

Last week we decided on our female and male soloists. Hunter and Michelle won and Noah and Tiffany are their understudies.

"Babe, I'm going to go check up with the boys." Eldon kisses my temple.

I nod and put my duffel bag away in my cubby and walk over to Stephanie, Riley, and Tiffany.

"Hey Em! Do my dark stilettos match that skirt I was wearing on your birthday last year?" Stephanie questions me.

"I'll have to look at it. I can come over later?" I reply.

Stephanie nods and smiles.

Out of the corner of my eye I see Hunter walk into Studio A.

"Hey, I'll be right back." I explain to the girls and walk over to where Hunter is standing.

Ever since I died I haven't been able to look Hunter in the eye but if I tell him what happened maybe I won't feel this awkward tension between us anymore.

"Hey. Can I talk to you?" I whisper as I stand in front of him.

Hunter just Shrugs and so I grab his wrist and pull him into Studio B.

"I need to get something off my chest." I announce as we arrive in Studio B.

"I can't cheat on Eldon. He's one of my best friends." Hunter stammers and goes to leave.

"It's not that! I actually like Eldon for your information!"

Hunter turns around and looks at me. "Then what is it?"

"This is going to sound crazy. I kinda sorta died and then for some reason I was able to come out back to life but I was only granted another year and so I have to leave after nationals."

Hunter looks at me like I'm crazy. I probably do sound crazy.

"Seriously? You dragged me in here to tell me some weird made up story about how you died but yet you're still alive" He scoffs.

"Yes."

"And I'm supposed to believe you?"

"Yes."

"Do you have any idea how fake this story sounds?"

"Yes."

Hunter sighs and walks over to the wall. He leans against it but slowly slides down the wall so he's sitting on the floor.

"Why are you telling me this? How do I know you're actually telling the truth?"

I sigh and sit down on the floor.

"There's no reason why you should believe me, but I'm telling you because you were driving the car. The car that killed me."

Hunter just stares at me again.

"You're joking right? There's some hidden camera in here somewhere and some people are going to jump out and this will be on national television." Hunter stammers and looks at me hopefully.

I just shake my head.

"No. I would never joke about something like this."

"So you're telling me I murdered you?"

"Yes." I whisper.

Hunter looks at me and we sit in silence for a few minutes before he breaks it.

"I...just need a minute." Hunter mumbles and walks out of Studio B.

I look around at the empty room and bury my face in my knees.