Chapter 14: Gone

I walk into Studio A alone the next morning. Eldon had some homework to do so he's showing up about an hour late.

I step inside and see everyone crowded around Ms. Kate.

I quickly put my bag away and run over to the group.

"Seriously?" Michelle asks Ms. Kate.

"Now who's gonna be our male soloist?" Riley pipes up.

"Why?" James adds.

Everyone's shouting at Ms. Kate and each other. I look around at everyone. What's going on?

I walk around to the other side of the group and tap Riley on the shoulder.

"Ri! What's happening?" I ask frantically.

"It's Hunter." She explains "Hunter's left the studio."

It feels like everything stops. Hunter left?

"Why?" I manage to ask.

"No one knows. Ms. Kate got a phone call this morning with him. All he said was he can't come back and he's sorry. Then he just hung up." Riley explains.

"Okay everyone! Settle down!" Ms. Kate shouts and everyone falls silent.

"Now, I know it's a shock for everyone that Hunter left but we need to figure out our new male national soloist." Ms. Kate says and looks at all the boys, expecting a volunteer.

After a minute of dead silence Noah raises his hand slowly.

Ms. Kate looks at him and smiles.

"Um, I want the nationals solo." Noah stutters.

Ms. Kate gives him a short nod.

"Excellent! Anyone else want it?" She asks but no one answers.

"Congratulations on the solo then, Noah! I want to see it Friday. So you have 3 days to work on it." Ms. Kate exclaims and walks back into her office.

"Ok guys! Semi-finals routine! Places!" Michelle calls out to everyone and dancers rush to their places.

Its not a good idea to get on Michelle's bad side.

I walk over and stand beside Michelle.

"I think we should let Noah out of this rehearsal so he can work on his solo." I suggest.

Michelle rolls her eyes and me causing me to let out a scoff.

"Fine." She sighs and flips her long, blond hair. "Noah! You can go practice your solo in the music room." Michelle yells.

Noah looks relieved as he runs out of Studio A.

"Now we're going to run through the routine! I wanna see it full out from every single one of you or we'll be here practicing 'till midnight!" Michelle threatens and starts the music.