Chapter 15: Nationals: Male Soloist

I wake up to the sound of my alarm blaring. I roll over onto my side and let out a long groan. Today is the day. I've been waiting for today for so long and it's finally here. Day 1 of nationals.

I glance at my alarm clock. 5:30. I sigh and roll out of bed. I have to be at the studio by 6:30 so that we can make it to nationals on time. Turning off my alarm and turning on my light, I walk over to my closet and grab my TNS uniform. I grab my dance bag and head downstairs to eat breakfast to be out of the house by 6:00 with Riley.

••••••••••••••••

When Riley and I finally got to the studio Eldon, James, Michelle, and Noah were already there. Within ten minutes everyone else showed up.

"Ok people!" Michelle yells and claps her hands.

Everyone quiets down from their conversations and turn to face Michelle.

"Thank you! Ok, we're going to leave in ten minutes so everyone make sure they're ready!" Michelle says and looks straight at me, glaring.

I let out a soft chuckle and turn to Amanda and Stephanie.

"What's her problem? You and Eldon got back together almost a month ago! I mean get over it already! Not everything is about you honey!" Stephanie sighs, looking at Michelle.

"Whatever. It's fine. But how are you?" I ask Stephanie and she smiles.

"Ok you know how West had asked me out? Ok well, we went on a date last night. He took me to this really romantic restaurant and then drove me back home afterwards. Then when we got to my house, we kissed!" Stephanie squeals.

"Really?! Congrats!" Amanda gasps and pulls Stephanie into a hug.

"So are you two official?" I pipe up and Stephanie looks across the room, at West.

"No. Well, not yet." Stephanie sighs and looks like a love sick puppy.

"Ok guys! The bus is here!" Michelle calls from the front of the room.

Everyone starts heading towards the bus and we all board. The bus seats are in two rows of two so Eldon and I are sitting together. Then Riley and James, Amanda and Giselle, Stephanie and West, Tiffany and Noah, and Michelle by herself.

It wasn't that no one wanted to sit by Michelle, but she didn't want anyone sitting by her. She spread out all of her stuff in the seat beside her so that no one would even try.

Ms. Kate and Phoebe sat together and before I know it we're leaving the studio behind us, heading to nationals.

••••••••••••

"You can do this. I know you can." I whisper to Eldon and grab his hands.

All of A-troupe stands backstage waiting for Eldon to go onstage. Its the first round on nationals. Male soloist. If he doesn't win this, we all go home.

"I don't think I can." Eldon mumbles and looks down.

"Hey. Where's your confidence? You're the best dancer here. Who cares about what the judges say. All that matters is you go out there and pour your dance out and leave the stage after with no regrets." I reply.

Eldon makes eye contact with me and pulls me closer. I lean up and kiss him. Its not a rough kiss. Its soft, passionate, and perfect.

We pull away slowly and he looks at me.

"When I go out there, there's going to be hundreds, maybe even thousands of people watching me and thinking about me. But there's only only going to be one person I'm thinking about. Only one person I'm going to be dancing for. I love you Emily." Eldon tells me.

I don't answer him with words but instead wrap my arms around his neck and kiss him, harder than before.

"Next up is Eldon from The Next Step dance studio!" I hear Chuck Anderson say from the speakers backstage. We pull away and Eldon starts walking towards the wings.

"Eldon!" I call after him "I love you."

He turns around and smiles at me.

"I know"

Eldon walks onstage and the music starts. He dances better than I've ever seen him dance.

When he finished the announcer announces he won.

Eldon runs off stage and I jump into his arms.

"I knew you could do it." I whisper against his ear.

He kisses my forehead and we walk out of the building with the rest of A-troupe, back to our hotel.