Chapter 20: The End

I sit in my hotel room. Riley is sitting beside me holding my hand and Eldon is on the other side. Stephanie sits beside Riley, holding onto my arm.

"This is it. What time did you say again?" Riley murmurs, checking her watch.

I know she already knows the answer. So does Steph and Eldon but I think we all just want the answer to be different this time.

I lean over and look at her watch.

9:34

"About 11:30...ish." I mutter.

No one's crying. I think we've cried all of our tears already.

"Let's turn on a movie. It'll take our minds off this." Eldon suggests.

We all nod, even though we probably won't be able to think about anything else.

"Touchdowns and tutus." Stephanie murmurs, looking down at her lap.

I smile. We all watched that movie the day we stayed a night in Studio A. It was one of the best nights of my life. I feel tears threatening to spill but I hold them back.

"No crying. I want this last night to be happy." I smile.

They all nod and smile back. Eldon turns on the movie and we all relax as the opening credits roll onto the screen. 

I lean over and rest my head on Eldon's shoulder and soon I feel myself drifting to sleep.

••••••••

I wake up to the end credits sweeping across the screen.

"Em? It's almost 11." Eldon whispers and squeezes my hand harder.

I nod and lean over to kiss him in the cheek.

"Thank you, for everything."

He nods and kisses my forehead.

I look over at Riley and hug her. She squeezes back and I smile, sinking into her embrace.

We pull away and I look over at my best friend. Stephanie stands up and walks over in front of me. She kneels on the ground and looks at me.

"I'll never forget you, Em."

"I'll never forget you either, Steph."

I pull her into a hug. We pull away and I stand up.

"I don't want you to watch it happen. I don't know what will happen but I do know that I don't want the people I love to watch me die. I'll just go in the washroom." I step away from the other three.

I grab the bathroom door and step inside.

"We love you." Stephanie calls out.

I nod. "I love you guys too."

And just like that, I step inside and close the door.

I wait a few minutes before I feel myself get tingly. I close my eyes and feel the darkness surround me.