chapter 17

Eleanor’s point of view.

I jumped as the guard opened my cage and placed my food in it. The same, everyday, grey mush.

I silently ate it, jumping as the guards opened the other prisoner’s cages. I looked to my left, and saw a guard throw someone into the cage. A newbie. Poor kid, she looked about eleven.

"Hello, my name is Eleanor, what’s yours?” I thought to her.

Yes. Thought. Since I came here, I started gaining these weird powers, allowing me to read people’s minds. Im not strong enough to control people, but I have heard of people think it before. It’s only a matter of time. I’m just hoping that Louis is out there, trying to find me, along with my family. I miss his so much, I love him so much. It’s only been a few months, but it feels like forever.

The girl looked to me with horror, tears falling down her face. “Where am I?” she asked.

My heart broke. “Don’t speak aloud, or they will punish you. I learned that the hard way.” I showed her my arm, full of old scars from the burns I received. That’s nothing compare to some of the others.

She looked at me with fright, and nodded.

“How do I talk to you?” She thought.

“Just think what you want say to me. I can read thoughts, and I can push my thoughts towards you, so we can communicate silently. Now, what’s your name?” I thought back.

“Misty. What is this place?”

“That’s a beautiful name Misty. And this place is called The Compound. It’s where most of us get sent to, but some are taken to other places. It’s a laboratory, which holds people, like us, and people in lab coats experiment on us. At first, we all are normal, human, but they change us.”

I point to the cage in front of me. Misty looks to where im pointing.

“That’s Damon. His code name is 01830. He was experimented with mutants, which caused him to be like a vampire. I’m not sure how, but there are only a few successful experiments. He’s one of them. Those aren’t lucky; the extra DNA either poisons them, or burns them up.”

I point to the left, to a cage that’s slightly higher up than us. The whole room is full of cages, stacked on shelves. Thankfully, since im so tall, I’m in the bottom shelf, which means that I get extra space. The higher the self, the small the cages are.

“That’s Alexia, she named herself that. Her code name is 01196. She wasn’t born normally, like us. She was injected with snake DNA. But, for some reason, she has a pink tinge to her skin. Like Trance from Andromeda...don’t ask what that is, it’s a TV series my dad use to watch... anyway, we recon it’s because her grandparents were experiments from this place. Her mother was a mutant, father unknown.”

"I can hear you! Stop talking about me!” Alexia crawled up to the bars of her cage, placing her hands on the bars. She looked down and glared at me.

“Im just explaining to Misty!” I thought back at her.

“Oh, another newbie! Don’t bother El, she’ll just end up like most of the others!” her glare grew cold.