The Game

The bell rings and I slowly walk to the bus. It's Friday and I should be happy about the weekend but I'm so not ready for that stupid football game tonight. I'm not sure why I agreed to something as absurd as that. I still haven't decided if I want to go to homecoming when and if Robbie asks. I just really would rather stay home and study. I'm eagerly waiting for my letter from Stanford and would rather not have anything happen to stop it.

I climb onto the bus and see Shawn not in our normal seat. I furrow my brows and sit down, a million thoughts running through my mind. Is he just late? Did he ditch me? Was I supposed to meet him somewhere? This rarely ever happens. It's driving me crazy.

And then I hear a laugh. A laugh so obnoxious that it causes my gag reflex to work. I turn around and see Shawn with her. He's sitting with fucking Waverly Prince. Even when Shawn had a girlfriend on our bus, he still sat with me. The feeling of betrayal courses through me and something I haven't felt in forever overcomes me; jealousy.

After a surprisingly long bus ride, I stand up and get off, walking straight to my house.

"Pais I'm gonna pick up some pizza so we can stay in. My parents aren't home so we can stay over my house since you're obviously not going to that game." Shawn jogs up next to me. I ignore him and continue to walk to my house. "Are you really ignoring me because I sat with Wave?"

"Oh, now you have nicknames for your slut." I snap.

"It's not like that." He rolls his eyes.

"Sure. You didn't sit with me, like always." I fold my arms and start to power walk as we near my house.

"I'm sorry, okay? She pressured me into it." He protests.

"Whatever." I sigh. "I'm going to the game. You should come with so I'm not sitting in the bleachers alone."

"Fine." Shawn groans and follows me inside the house, closing the front door behind him.

"Mom, Shawn's over but we're going somewhere later!" I yell into the kitchen and walk up the stairs.

"Okay, tell him I said hello!"

"Hey, Mrs. Jones." Shawn grins and continues up the stairs and into my room.

"So do you think I should dress like Waverly Prince and go to the game wearing his jersey pulled down to show my cleavage?" I raise my eyebrows at Shawn and throw the shirt at him.

"Shut the fuck up." He glares at me and throws it on the ground.

"Just trying to do what guys like. Oh wait, that's what she does." I smile and take my Mac out of my bag.

"Just drop it, Paisley. You wish you attracted guys like her."

Ouch. "I don't wish I was a whore though." I shrug, trying to show that his statement hasn't affected me.

"You are if you go to homecoming with Robbie."

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"He uses girls to take their virginity and that's obviously why he asked you." Shawn shrugs.

"Wow. I almost believed you for a second." I put a hand on my heart and go into my bathroom to change. Once I'm done, I walk out and see him scrolling through his phone on my bed.

"You don't look like a slut." Shawn eyes me as I walk out.

"I know. Hey, at lunch who were you going to ask." I think back to when he said he wanted to ask someone else. "Do I know her?"

"Yes you know her. I'm not sure if I'm still asking her." He sits up straighter.

"Is she in our grade? What's her name?" I sit next to him.