Chapter 2: Musical Chairs

AN: Pic is reference a character yet to be introduced... keep reading!

I played with the laces on my Converse as I sat against the door. Somehow, I had managed to make a mortal enemy in the first ten minutes of being at this school.

I immediately put my earbuds in and turned up a My Chemical Romance song as loud as it would go, blinking back tears. I didn't want to have to deal with this stuff all over again. The literal purpose of me enrolling in, paying for, and coming to this boarding school was to avoid situations exactly like this one.

I was halfway through the first song, not knowing what I should do, when I felt a knock on the door. I quickly scrambled up, yanked my earbuds out and opened it.

The teacher from before stood in front of me. She had long curly hair and large blue eyes which managed to exude great warmth. "I'm Principal Safflower, it's nice to meet you!" She extended her hand for a handshake and I took it firmly.

"I'm sorry about all the fuss from earlier. I know it must be difficult since this is your first day. I've talked to Maisy and she has agreed to try and get along with you."

"Okay, that's fine," I lied. "I'll get settled."

"Good, good. We want you to have the best experience possible at Carroll. Please come talk to me about anything you need," she said, before bidding me farewell.

Maisy's things were still sitting unpacked on her bed.

Something told me that Maisy wasn't going to 'try and get along with' me. Even if she did, her mere condescending attitude would be off-putting to me. I had no idea what was going to happen next, but if things continued this way I might just call my parents to beg to come home.

I put everything down and got all my stuff out - my posters, CDs, and my laptop. I put my laptop in a bin under my bed, and tacked up all my posters; Blood on the Dancefloor, My Chemical Romance, Black Veil Brides, and Sleeping With Sirens. I stacked my CDs, signed and unsigned both, on the shelf at the foot of my bed, then pushed one of the large beanbags - the purple one - over to beneath the shelf, which was already stocked with my recommended reading for the year. I'd get to that later.

I put all of my clothes away in my closet and set my favorite stuffed animal - a big, fluffy panda named Tony - down on the bed after I re-made it with my own comforter. Why Tony? I'm not sure, Matthew picked it out. I missed him...

After I was done unpacking, the door swung open. Maisy was back.

I watched as her eyes wandered over my living arrangements, which were at odds with her own. Four-poster bed with band posters taped all over the wall above it, and a bed decked out in black, purple, and pink.

She raised one eyebrow, scoffed, and immediately turned around and walked back out. Every interaction with her reeked of disdain.

Luckily for me, the uniform was customizable to a degree. I could wear my own shoes with it, and I picked out a pair of Converse with kitties on the toes. I also put on tons of colorful bracelets and shook my wrist once I had them all on. Some of my favorites had bands - MCR, BVB, Pierce the Veil - written across them.

I tucked my iPod into my bag alongside my phone. A cute Gir backpack with gummi bear zipper pulls, I wasn't sure if it was against dress code and I didn't care. Slinging it on, I walked out of the dorm with my head high, locked it with the key I found on my bed - Maisy must have picked it up for her friends, assuming they'd be her roommates - and walked to the introductory school meeting in the main building. The Maisy drama would have to wait.