Chapter 15 - The Cheshire Cat Catfights

AN: A reference pic of Emmett :)

When I woke up, I looked over the foot of my bed at the empty white mattress in the corner. I was still confused as to why the third bed in our room remained empty. Didn't Maisy have two other cheer friends she normally hung out with? Whether she did or not, I didn't want to ask; I wanted that bed to stay empty.

However, I had decided that I was going to confront Maisy about the video. I had worked up my courage to do it, and was done letting her push me around. Whenever I saw her next, I was going to say something.

Maisy was already gone when I woke up, so I showered and got dressed in privacy; I pulled on ripped heart-printed tights beneath my uniform skirt and button-down, and pulled a roomy MCR hoodie over it so far down that it covered the skirt. This way I could say I was still wearing the uniform while looking the way I liked. After teasing up my hair and doing my makeup, I pulled on dinosaur-printed socks to wear beneath plain black converse. My bracelets hung colorful and free on my wrist. I was ready to start my day.

I had barely walked out the door when I was shoved into a wall by none other than Maisy herself.

"You just didn't listen, did you?" wearing her heels, she was slightly taller than I was, and pointed right at my face with a long, shiny pink nail. One of her friends was standing behind her, watching.

"I don't know what you're talking about, but either way I need to have a word with you," I said, glaring. This was the last encounter I was planning to have with her. I was going to take control of my life at this school now.

Maisy scoffed. "Quit playing dumb. I know you tried to get me busted for filming that video of your groupie ass in the shower."

"It was you?" I said with a growl. I should have figured. I was sure Maisy would have gotten one of her followers to do it, but I guess I was wrong to put it past the Evil Queen herself.

Maisy pushed me into the door hard. Two people opened the doors to their rooms to see what caused the noise.

"Cindy got suspended because of you, freak," she hissed. "Not only from school, but from cheer squad. Do you even realize what you've done?"

"You're an asshole, Maisy," I said with gritted teeth. Maisy's eyes widened in anger. That didn't stop me.

"No human being should be this petty. You're a walking insult to humanity."

Maisy took one step back from where she stood, glaring at me with huge eyes. Her friend looked outraged.

"What did you just say to me?"

"In short, fuck you," I said with a biting tone, looking her dead in the eye.

Maisy stood there for a second, then narrowed her eyes and leaned in. I didn't blink.

"I'm going to make you wish you'd never crossed me. I swear I'll get you back for suspending Cindy and for daring to talk to me like that. You'll wish you were dead, emo freak," she said in a low voice. 

I put up my middle finger in the space between us, right between Maisy's furious blue eyes. Then  I turned around the corner of the door and walked out. I heard Maisy shriek in frustration behind me. 

People on the ground floor who had heard the confrontation were watching me come down the stairs, but I didn't care anymore. The guys' support had motivated me to stand up for myself. Not only did I not want anyone to bully me anymore, but I didn't want anyone to bully them either. I was ready to defend them.

At the same time, I wasn't sure if being so rude to Maisy was the right thing to do. She had done unspeakably cruel things to me, but I had mixed feelings about fighting fire with fire. Even so, I was mad, and I hoped Maisy wouldn't forget the sight of my middle finger inches from her upturned nose.