Chapter 8: The Heart of Wonderland

AN: Will reference photo, w/o glasses :)

Emmett ran up beside me as we walked out of the house. I noticed Gavin pick up his backpack on the way out; I suppose he didn't have any intention of staying here anymore.

As we walked toward the treehouse, Cody sped up to run past us, fearlessly climbing the moldy-looking rope ladder with ease.

"That's the real heart of Wonderland." Emmett ran for the rope ladder; he started climbing, even though each rung looked more weak than the last. "Come on!" I followed him up; Gavin, Will, and Jamie were still on the ground by the time I made my way up.

The doorway was a little small, and when I crawled inside it became clear that this treehouse was meant for someone much smaller, despite being so large. There was a little balcony built on a tree branch, and a second ladder leading to a top deck of sorts. The main room of the treehouse had an extra room with tiny windows and a plastic steering wheel, as if it was a ship. Cody was already manning the ship as everyone else climbed inside. 

Emmett went out to the balcony. "Don't worry, Alex; it looks small, but it can hold us all up. We were here not too long ago."

"All aboard the S.S. Cody!" Cody said, slapping the middle of the steering wheel as if honking a horn. "Honk honk! Captain Cody will be in charge today."

"Who put you in charge?" Gavin said, bumping Cody aside. He grabbed the steering wheel. "I did!" exclaimed Cody, grabbing it back. They playfully bumped shoulders while fighting for the wheel. I noticed a plastic trunk sitting against the wall inside the room where Cody and Gavin were play-fighting. I dragged it out of the room; it left a trail on the floor where it had disturbed the dirt. The fasteners were dusty, but I undid them and opened the trunk.

It appeared to be tight enough to seal out most dirt and water, because the stuff inside looked clean and dry. There were storybooks, a large plastic flashlight, some pencils, and the crowning glories: a wooden sword and felt pirate hat. I put on the hat, ignoring potential dirt and bugs, then picked the sword up. If I was going to skip school with a bunch of strangers, I might as well have a little fun.

 I pointed the toy sword in Cody and Gavin's direction.

"I'm in charge now!" I said in my best pirate voice. I was starting to have more fun. Gavin and Cody turned to face me, captain of the pirates; huge smiles broke out on both their faces.

"You will never have my ship, pirate queen!" Cody challenged me. His confident smile dropped momentarily as he searched for something to wield. He finally picked up a big stick that had been propped against the wall. He pointed it at me.

"You mean-" Gavin scrambled forward, taking the flashlight from his trunk, before turning it on and holding it with both hands-"my spaceship!" He swung the flashlight back and forth, shining a faint spotlight on the walls. His mischievous smile was tugging on my heartstrings, but I ignored this for the sake of the fight.

 Cody whirled his stick around, almost hitting me in the tight space. But I wouldn't let them win.

"Go Alex!" Emmett called from the balcony, looking in through the hole in the roof where it met the ladder.

"My bet's on Alex too," said Will matter-of-factly, who was dangling his legs off a tree branch just in view. Jamie, who sat on a bench inside the treehouse, nodded at him. I winked at Jamie in response with my sword brandished.

"Have some faith in me, guys," moaned Gavin with false despair. Cody stuck his tongue out, before charging at me with the stick. I didn't know how well the sword would hold up, but I gave the stick my best swing- and broke it off where Cody held it. Emmett cheered.

Cody pouted. "I lost already?! Have your ship! I'm quitting this job!" He faked extreme disappointment and sat down in the Captain's seat to watch the final showdown.

I raised my sword to meet Gavin's flashlight. His grip on the large plastic light was much better than my grip on the splintery wooden sword handle. In one or two hits, he knocked it out of my hands. I put them up in defeat.

"You win! This is the S. S. Gavin now."

Gavin smiled triumphantly and took a bow. As he did, I scooped my sword back up and whacked the flashlight out of his hand with it; startling Gavin, it rolled across the floor with a heavy thud. Everyone clapped and hollered. Gavin stood up straight, and I pointed my sword at his chest.

"The pirate queen wins," I smirked. Gavin had a look in his eye that told me he was a little impressed. I put the sword down and surrendered my hat. I was satisfied with my victory. I quickly descended the ladder and, once on the ground, made for the tire swing. Cody laughed above me as I leapt into it, holding onto the rope to put my feet through. It was a little hard to swing my legs this way.

"Can someone push me?" I asked sheepishly.

"The runner-up to the duel can," I heard Gavin say. Oh, no. I turned my head to the sound of him descending the ladder. He came up to the tire and I hung off the rope so that my head hung nearly upside-down. I looked up at him from a flipped perspective. He was almost as tall as Jamie, but not nearly as broad-shouldered.

Then, he brushed aside my purple-brown hair, putting it over my shoulder- I didn't expect this gesture, and stiffened slightly. He pulled the tire back as far as he could, and let it go. When I swung back with a whoop, he pushed me again, both hands on the center of my back. I kept swinging, each time higher than the last. I couldn't help laughing loudly.

"I want a turn!" Cody exclaimed, climbing down from the treehouse. I heard Will say, "We'll miss dinner if we don't get out of here soon."

Jamie looked down at his phone. "You're right."

"Hear that, Alex?" Gavin said. When I came around for the next swing, he took hold of the sides of the tire, and eased me back to the ground. "Sorry to kill your fun."

I hopped out of the tire and whipped past him, going to stand beside Cody. "Aww..." he said.

"We'll each get you a cookie to make up for it, how about that?" I said.

Cody silently counted us, then beamed. "Five cookies?!" He sprinted back to the car at lightning speed.

"Is he really our age?" I asked Will. He smiled at my amusement with Cody.

"He's older than Emmett by a couple months," Will answered, "but they're both the youngest of us. Cody's birthday is in March."

"Who's the oldest?" I asked. Everyone began walking back to the car.

"Me; my birthday is in a week," Will said. I silently logged all this information in the back of my mind. "I see," I responded, before finally adding, "Happy early birthday."

Will seemed to blush a little. "Thanks."

~

Cody and Emmett raced each other on Gavin and Jamie's backs while Will walked between them. I followed, cheering them on. Laughter echoed through the neighborhood. After the long walk, we arrived at the car and all piled in- aside from Gavin, who got in his own car.

I didn't think I had been too tired, but when I got in the car, seated again between Emmett and Cody, I closed my eyes. At the first motions of the car pulling out of the driveway, I drifted into sleep.