Chapter 2

Dan's POV

When we finally arrived at our destination, I look over at Ross; he was asleep. If I didn't wake him up, his sleep schedule could be fucked up again, but I carry him inside anyways; he needed this rest.
I sat there with him in the quiet, empty house. Ross needed company, so I stayed. After a half hour or so, I see him start to wake up. I look at him, and he smiles at the sight of me.
"Glad you stayed." Ross greeted me with a slight smile, sitting himself up.
"I couldn't just leave! You need someone to talk to, whenever you want to, of course!"
"Thanks," Ross looks down, and he stopped grinning.
"You okay?" I asked.
"Huh? O-oh, yea! What do you want for food?" Ross hurriedly changes the subject.
"I don't know, I'll go get something, okay?" I go along with what Ross was saying; he would tell me what's bothering him in time, it was no use pestering him about it in the meantime, right?
"I got it!" Ross eagerly jumps out from under the covers, rushing to the kitchen. I follow, barely catching up with him.
"Slow down!" I laugh at Ross's apparent enthusiasm, even though I knew full well that it was most likely a cover up, overcompensating for how he was actually feeling.
We quickly reach the kitchen, thanks to Ross, and I start looking around for something good for lunch. Ross pushes me aside, also browsing the cabinets.
"Hey!" I laugh slightly. There he goes, acting like his same old self.
Ross finally looked back at me about ten minutes later, and said, "I couldn't find anything. Learn to get out of the way, okay?"
I could tell he was joking by that smirk on his face. I laugh a bit, "Goddamit Ross, I was looking before you pushed me!"
We eventually sorted things out, and had decided to make soup, and of course, I was stuck cooking it.
"Hey, Ross," I address him; Ross was sitting at the table, and was being very quiet again. I guess there's only so much energy in him.
There was silence; maybe he hadn't heard me, "Ross," I said, louder this time.
"What?" I saw him jump slightly.
"I really just want to make sure you're okay. What were you gonna say to me, back when you told me about Holly?"
"It really isn't important, Dan!" Ross actually seemed a little bit scared to tell me.
"Please, Ross, I won't tell anyone if you don't want me to."
"Please don't make me tell you," he half-groans.
"I just wanna make sure you're okay, okay?"
"It's just... It's nothing, okay? Please drop it," Ross was begging for me to stop, and though I felt bad, I kept pressing on, thinking that I was close.
"Ross, it's not gonna help if you keep hiding from this. Whatever it is, I'm sure it can't get any worse!" I try to be cheerful for him.
"Fine! You really wanna know?" Ross was irritated at this point, and I start to feel a little bad, "I- I like you, Dan! Like, a lot!"
The room fell silent as I stood there in shock, "What?"
Maybe I misheard; I couldn't be hearing this!