Chapter Nineteen

George's house gives off, to me, a similar aura to my own. Even from a distance, the smell of mildew and abandonment is clear. I was expecting a manor house, or at least a cute little Bungalow. George must look so out of place in this kind of place, but I guess I'll never find out. We hardly talked the whole way here, in George's car the silence was unnerving, we'd always had so much to say to each other but today we were just so lost in thought, when he did talk, it was formal conversation. He seemed so different, so serious, so different to the old, jokey, carefree George I love so much. When we got out, he navigated me by the hand to his front door and steered me inside. Instantly I know we are alone in the house, that Hazell's efforts are wasted.

George's mum isn't even here.

"I'm sorry for lying to you, love." He says, a while later, gently caressing my cheek. While I am thinking about how good it feels, a bubble of anger bursts in my heart. All that worrying for nothing.
"Why?"
"Did I tell you how beautiful you look?"
I grimace.
"Why did you lie to me?"
"Look, let me explain. I just needed to tell you something. My mum was drunk, she wouldn't have been as sympathetic. As... Careful as I promise I will be."
"What is this... Something?"

Something is swimming in my stomach, it's like my head if filling up with water. I know exactly what this thing is. He's breaking up with me.
"No- Wait, you can't!" My voice raises in panic, rising a few octaves in the process. This is so unfair! Why does everything I touch seem to turn to poison? Why can't it turn into gold instead. I thought George was my gold. Obviously not.

"It's not what you think it is- trust me. Angela."
"Isn't it?"
"But it's still bad."
"What is it?"
"Well... My mum has met this guy."
My heart nearly stops in relief.
"That's what this is about?"
"Not all of it. He lives in Cornwall."
"Cornwall. Okay."
" My mum is, uh, my mum is moving there."

"Oh my God, George I am so sorry!"
"No, I'm sorry."
"Why?"
"Because I have to come with her."

The penny has dropped. The one thing I have slips through my fingers like water.
"No! No! I can't lose you! George, you can't! Please!"
My world, my heart and soul are slowly and painfully collapsing. My throat has shut itself so that it is so tight I can hardly breathe. The fireworks start pounding in my head, drowning out George's words of reassurance. I start to slip away from consciousness...
I fight to try and regain my voice, but when it comes back it doesn't sound in the least like me.
"No, stay at mine! You can have my bed. You can live with me- and Hazell! Please don't leave!"
George pauses for a second as though thinking it over, a single tear drops onto my shoulder. I can tell he is just as unhappy as myself.
"Please."
At long last he replies, his wonderful voice laced with pain.
"Okay." And my heart is filled with love and happiness once again, everything is alright. George cares about me too much to leave me. He is not going to be lost yet. He is still my boyfriend.
"But I have one thing I want in return."
"Why! Why? Don't you want to live with me? Do you want to leave me?"
"No, I want more than anything to stay with you."
His voice is thick with emotion and something else, something new.
"But I also want something else."
"What? What? Anything!"
He presses small, metal shape into my palm.
"Marry me."

****

OMFG! George just proposed! Read on to find out WHAT HAPPENS NEXT.

¡Adiós!