Chapter 7

Driving home, I asked Jacob if we could go to Josie's grave.

"Why?" he asked.

"Just something I do."

He parked at the side of the road. I picked some fluffy dandelions, then walked over to the silver plaque that read "Our Sweet Josie".

"Hi Jo." I started. Jacob was probably thinking, 'WTF?'

"Tonight I went to the movies. Jacob came. He's here right now. He ended his suspension today. We went to the movies with Erik, yes, that Erik, and some other people, including Nasty Ass Gail."

Jacob cracked up.

"I shared a popcorn with Erik. When I tried to get some popcorn, he held my hand for, like, four seconds."

"Ooooooh." Jacob said. "You do realize I've heard everything you've said, right?"

I blushed.

"And only four seconds?" He pushed up his Aviators. "Now I'm four, five seconds from Wally..."

"And we've got three more days 'till Friday." I joined in.

"I'm just tryna make it back home by Monday morning..." We sang together. We burst out laughing.

"Heaven knows if we even sang the right lyrics." I say, facing the grave again. "God bless you. And I know these are dandelions, but bear with me." I placed the fluffies on the grave.

"Why are you talking to a dead person?" Jacob asked as we walked back to the car.

"Makes me feel at peace. I've been doing it since the first day of school."

"Oh."

We buckled up. Jacob was about to put the key in, but backed it away.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Nothing. I just have a present for you when we get to your home."

A present? It was probably just some candy. He always gave me candy.

We pulled into my driveway.

"Now, I need to give you your present." He winked. I smiled.

"I have been meaning to give you this for a long time, but I never got around to it."

He leaned in and kissed me.