Chapter 24

Jacob's funeral was two weeks later, and a day before his birthday. I hadn't gone to school at all since the day of the crash. I started to cry after that news report. Mom did, a little, too. She and Dad hugged me close as we all cried.

The funeral was beautiful. It was held at the Highlands Church in Portland, a very large church with stained glass windows. Flowers and pictures of Jacob were everywhere. Me and Josie were in some of them.

The casket was open. Jacob was dressed in his leather jacket, his Blake Shelton concert tee, his good ol' jeans, his Timberlands, and of course, his sunnies. A classic Jacob outfit. I kissed his cold, slightly smelly cheek when we went up to see him. His mom started screaming at me about germs and stuff.

Everyone cried during it. Eventually, I had to give the speech I had written.

"Jacob was my best friend, and my boyfriend. He was the funniest person ever, a real sweetheart, and kind of girly at times. (insert tears) He loved country music, and playing board games. He was a really good friend who always stood up for me, which got him into trouble sometimes. (insert tears) Jacob was truly a great person, even with his times. (insert tears) He will always (insert tears) be in (insert tears) our hearts. (insert tears)"

I bawled. I went back to my seat. I did good. Pretty good.
•••••

I didn't go to school for weeks. I occasionally went to my teachers after school had let out to get some work, and I returned it the next trip. Mom said that tomorrow I had to go.

Well, maybe I won't. Maybe I'll be hanging out with Jacob and Josie.