Chapter 25

At school the next day, many people either hugged me, said they missed Jacob, too, or patted my shoulder. I tried to find Erik but was out of luck. He was nowhere to be seen.

Gail came up to me at lunch, during which I was eating with some other Jacob mourners, Haley Hubert, Miranda Sung, and Roberta Drew.

"I am so glad that abuser is gone. Right, girls?" Her cronies nodded in unison.

"Don't call him that." Haley said. "He simply had anger problems."

"Uh huh." Gail smirked.

"Nasty Ass Gail." I blurted out. The whole table, plus Gail and her friends, stared at me.

Everyone except Gail burst out laughing.

"Don't you dare call me that!" Gail screeched. "Implants are NOT cheap! Or nasty!"

"Implants?!" Miranda howled. Roberta started shouting 'Nasty Ass Gail!' for everyone to hear. Nearly the whole cafeteria burst into shouting and laughter. Even the lunch ladies.

Gail stormed out of the cafeteria. Haley high-gives me.

I think I just made some new friends.
•••••

Me: Erik?
Me: Where were you today?
Me: Gail got buuuuurned. It was funny.

I sighed. He was obviously not going to answer. I headed out the school. As I stepped into the parking lot, I saw a big Ford truck pull up. Erik was driving it.

"Erik?!" I said. "Where were you?"

""Sick"." He air quoted. I giggled.

"Can you drive me home? I was going to walk, but... I dunno. Can I hop in?"

He nodded. I stepped up into the truck, fearing my floral mini skirt would ride up and reveal my underwear. He started the car again, and away we went.

"Why did you come to the school?" I asked as we pulled onto King Street.

"I dunno. I was hoping to find you." He winked. I blushed.

We went onto the road where Josie's tree was.

"Her tree." I said. Erik slowed down as we passed it, both of us looking at the fresh flowers someone had put on the tombstone. I couldn't see it anymore seconds later. Erik kept going straight instead of turning.

"My house is that way." I pointed. He turned around, and right before the intersection, Erik swivelled off the road. The car turned upside down as we hit the ditch. I heard Erik screaming something, but I couldn't hear through my screams. The car stopped, a few flames coming out from beneath the hood.

I managed to open the smashed door. I was crying. I looked back at the car, and saw the craziest thing ever.

My body was still in the car.