Chapter 22

Joe's P.O.V

I explained everything to the cops and Taylor even admitted to pushing me down the hill. His eyes were filled with confidence and pride, but you can also tell he wasn't happy at all to what was going to happen to him. Who would be? I hope he gets years because he deserves it. Maybe when he gets out he'll be a better person.
People can change, but only to a certain extent.
They led him out of the bedroom and out of the house and into the back of the cop car. Me and Demi were looking out the window and he was smiling while looking down at his lap. Demi shook her head, "What a fucking sociopath." I scoffed. He's exactly that.
"Let's get out of here." Demi said. "Hold on." I said and looked in the drawer, I got Emily's house keys and Demi and I walked down the stairs and out of the house. I locked the door behind me and we seen the cop cars take off. We got into the car and drove to the hospital that Emily was at, which is the same one I was in. We asked the receptionist which room she was in and she said room 120 so we went in the elevator to the 2nd floor and we found the room. We walked inside to find her sleeping peacefully. She had IV's into her arm. She still did not look her best but she at least looked peaceful.
The doctor came in behind us, "So, you're her friends, correct?" He asked. Demi and I nodded yes and he clicked his tongue, "She was severely dehydrated so we needed to attach her to the IV, we pumped her stomach to get rid of the drugs, which were not fully absorbed yet. She had taken far too many Xanax, not to mention she mixed it with alcohol.  She's doing much better now, you guys got her here just in time. I suggest letting her rest but if you want to wake her up, don't come crying to me." He let out a wide grin that showed his wrinkles by his eyes and mouth, making it obvious to his pitch black hair that he was definitely much older than he wanted to admit. "Okay, thank you so much." Demi said with her reassuring smile. He nodded his head and walked out of the room. We faced Emily and she was waking up. Her eyes peaked open and she smiled, "Heyy you guys." I smiled softly at her, "How are you feeling?" She rubbed her eyes and sighed, "Well, like a million sacks of shit so." She giggled and we did too. "What were you thinking, Emily?" Demi said with a worried expression. Emily looked down and refused to make eye contact with either of us. "I just felt like everything had gone to shit, Joe doesn't remember me, my parents want nothing to do with me, my life is just bad." She said as tears welled up in her eyes. "Well..I actual-" She cut me off. She snapped her head up and her eyes widened. "Elias." Elias? "Elias?" Demi and I both said. "Where's my phone?" She asked. "Uhh." I seen a plastic bag filled with her stuff right next to where I was sitting so I grabbed it and handed it to her. She ripped it open and got her phone out. She looked through it as fast as she could and she called someone.
Who's Elias?

Emily's P.O.V

The night Elias had come over, he told me he was going to pick me up today, and take me out. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. He said to be ready by 7 and it was 8pm. By the time I had turned on my phone, my notifications started blowing up. 8 missed calls from Elias and 11 text messages from him. "Don't avoid me dude, answer the door." was his last message which was 15 minutes ago. I called him and he answered right away. "Hey, I'm not leaving until you answer the door." He said stubbornly. "I'm not home, I'm at the hospital." His voice turned very serious. "Where?" I told him and he hung up and I texted him my room number and within 10 minutes he was here. He walked into the room and shook his head. "What did you do?" He crossed his arms, his eyes showed much more worry than he wanted them to. Demi and Joe didn't know what to do so they just left the room to let me and him talk. I looked down, "I took too many. I didn't mean to, I-I just didn't care anymore. He said it was fine to over-do it, he said you can't OD with Xanax. I had already drank half a bottle of Vodka before then..I'm sorry, I didn't mean for it to go this far. I'm sorry. I'll stop.." I sobbed as I shamefully hid my face in my hands. I heard him let out a heavy breath and sit down on the chair by my side. "Emily..I'm glad you're gonna stop. I am. I don't know how much longer I could've just stood by watching you fuck yourself over. When I came in I had the intention of yelling at you but, how much is that gonna help? I need to stop acting like a parent and acting more like a best friend because I care about you. I do. I'll help you however much you want me to, don't be afraid to ask. I just want to have the chance to meet the real you. I know she's amazing." I had already let my hands down and I laughed as tears fell out of my eyes. He laughed with me and I held his hand. "Thank you. A lot." He smiled at me and kissed my forehead. I closed my eyes and smiled. I don't deserve it, not now anyway, but god damn am I lucky.

Demi's P.O.V

Joe and I decided to let them have privacy, so we went to the cafeteria. We were pretty hungry since we didn't eat today, we had planned on going out to eat with Emily. Joe bought a chicken ceaser salad and a chocolate muffin for me and him. I got a small cup of water and we sat down. I sighed as I plopped myself on the chair. "I'm glad she's okay." Joe said, I nodded in agreement. "Who do you think the guy is?" I asked. He shrugged, "Maybe a guy she met at a bar or party or something. He seems to care a lot, which is what she needs right now." I looked at his worried face and held his hand that was laying on the table. "I wonder how she's going to react when you get the chance to tell her you remember her.." I smiled softly and so did he. "Me too." He added all the condiments to the salad and put the top back on and shook it to mix it all up. "You're giving me a bite, right?" I smiled. He chuckled and shook his head, "Get your own." He scoffed playfully. I dropped my jaw in a surprised way and snatched the muffin from him. "This is ALL mine then." I raised my eyebrows and smiled at him. "Cold." He laughed. I unwrapped the plastic from the muffin and took a big bite. I laughed at myself, I took way too big I bite. I somehow managed to get it all down. Joe laughed at me, "If you're trying to make me jealous by causing yourself to choke to death then be my guest." We laughed and I took a drink of water to let it down. "Gee, you're so sweet." He collected a big bite on the fork of the salad and fed it to me. He smiled at me as I ate it like a pig. "Stop." I laughed with my mouth closed. "I love you. So, no." He smiled. I rolled my eyes and swallowed my food. "I love you more." He took a bite of his salad and shook his head, "Cheeky, eh?" We chuckled and continued talking. It felt, for once, like there was nothing wrong. In a hospital cafeteria, everything felt perfect. Who would have known?

It doesn't matter where we are, it doesn't matter if the world around us is pure chaos, as long as I have you next to me to love, I will make it.