Ch. 10 - a new roommate

As soon as Chase dropped my mom and I off at our house, I slowly kissed him and told him goodnight. He drove away as my mom unlocked the door and led us inside. I stormed up the stairs and into my room.

I sat there on my bed for about 2 minutes when I finally figured out that I wanted to paint I walked into my closet and pulled out my easel and a small canvas along with my pairs and brushes.

Once I got everything set up, I started to ponder on what to paint. I pulled out my brush and painted a large orange daisy with smaller flowers and a green field behind it. I felt happy while I painted, until the feeling of rage took over my emotions from the thought of Bianca being my new roommate.

I removed the painted canvas and grabbed a new one. I painted a long black line down the middle to divide the canvas. On the left side I painted a sun setting on a beach with a man, woman, and little girl, holding hands and the faced away from the viewer. The other side of the canvas was the same girl a couple years older holding hands with her mother as they stood in a dimly lit room.

This is how I felt when I thought about Gavyn coming to stay with us. I felt like he was trying to fill in my dad's position. No one can fill in my dad's position. When I was about 10 years old, my parents got a divorce. My dad remarried the next year and left the state, never trying to make contact with his only daughter.

As I finished the painting, I placed the two canvases in the corner to dry and the paint and now clean brushes back in their original spot on my desk. As I pulled up an unread message from Chase, I heard a knock on the door downstairs.

I walked to the top of the stairs and looked down to the front door. My eyes landed on a tall, muscular, bald headed man that I'm guessing is Gavyn.

"Rhyan! Can you come down here for a second?" My mom shouted, obviously not noticing me watching them.

"Yes?" I asked as I slowly walked down the steps.

"Rhyan, this is Gavyn. Gavyn, this is my daughter Rhyan." She introduced us.

"It's nice to meet you." I said, extending my hand. He grabbed my hand and, instead of shaking it, pulled me into a very uncomfortable hug.

"We're family now. Don't be so formal." He laughed as he pulled away.

I gave a weak smile before turning to face Bianca.

"Hey." I said lightly.

"Hey." She replied quietly.

"Rhyan, why don't you show Bianca to the guest room where she'll be staying." My mom suggested.

"Okay. Here let me help." I smiled, taking her red cheer bag that was identical to mine.

"Thanks." She smiled.

"So this is your room. If you need anything, my room is right next door." I smiled as I opened the white door.

"Thanks." She smiled as she sat down her bag.

As I turned to walk out, she spoke up.

"Rhyan!" I turned around quickly.

"I know we haven't really talked much at school and we don't hang out a lot, but I think we're going to be really good friends." She smiled as she unzipped one of her bags.

I smiled faintly and nodded before leaving an closing my bedroom door behind me.

I opened the text message and started to read the message. It read:

"I just found out that my mother and father are having a big dinner tonight to celebrate my uncle's 40th birthday. I wanted to know if you wanted to come over? It's a dressy event so dress to impress."