Chapter 19

The rest of their honeymoon passes way too quickly, reading, talking, making love, riding, fishing, shooting at targets, trying out the lady's saddle. It is much easier now Elizabeth has a lot more experience riding, and a better horse. Also, Peter is as good in instructing her to ride sidesaddle as he is teaching riding astride. After two days Elizabeth dares to leave the paddock and go out, though trotting is still a bit much to ask, she prefers to go to a canter straight away.

There are a lot of clothes coming in, riding skirts, blouses and gorgeous dresses, and the two winter coats, which is just in time, for the weather turns to freezing temperatures and even snow.

'How can one seamstress make so many items in so little time?' Elizabeth asks Mrs Reynolds, as she tries on the coats, over one of the dresses.

The good lady answers: 'I let her know everything needed to be finished within the week, she probably hired a lot of help. That coat is perfectly fitted, she is very skilled, she probably sewed those little tucks herself and let someone else do the simpler jobs, like hemming. Can you do any sewing at all, Mrs Darcy?'

Elizabeth admits: 'I'd probably be ridiculed, censured and despised for it if Mr Darcy's connections found out, but actually I'm very good at it. We couldn't afford a really good seamstress, and I've always been fond of needlework, and when my youngest sister tore her best gown and there was no servant who could repair it credibly, I tried, and I did such a neat job and I felt so good about it, that I've stuck to the habit. Also, we used to improve the fit of the dresses we had made, my eldest sister Jane and I. But I'm very impressed by your seamstress' skills, I couldn't do it that well.'

Again, Elizabeth seems to have made a good impression on Mrs Reynolds by admitting to having mended and fitted her own dresses, something Miss Bingley would undoubtedly find disgraceful.

The housekeeper comments: 'So you know good fitting from bad, and how much work is involved. Good.

The riding skirts look very well-made, too, Peter's missus has a deft hand with fabric. And they look much better than the one you borrowed, the fabric you chose makes the skirts flow much more naturally and they look very feminine on you, Mrs Darcy, especially combined with the new blouses. I saw you ride out on old Mrs Darcy's saddle, when your riding dress is finished you will look just like the old lady's portrait, the master will be so proud!'

Such warmth cannot but make Elizabeth feel really at home here, and in a way she regrets leaving again so soon, and for such a long time. Mrs Reynolds is still admiring the quality of the new dresses, and remarks: 'These dresses, Mrs Darcy, it may seem as if we live in a backwater here, but the master's newspaper is delivered within a day, and the magazines with the latest fashions are also eagerly received. A good seamstress can draw a pattern from a picture, within three days she is ready to make the first try-out dress.

No, your clothes will be fine, but there are some city-folk who will try to look down on you, not even for your lineage, but for being from the country. They will snub you and make you feel naive and unsophisticated. Don't hesitate to tell the master, he will set them to rights. And in matters of style and manners, trust to Simon, he is forthright and always aware of the latest affectations.'

Elizabeth is quite astonished with Mrs Reynolds having an opinion on London folk, and she supposes the good lady must be a little prejudiced against them. But thinking of the beplumed visitors to the theatre, and Miss Bingley's superior attitude, she can imagine the housekeeper being at least partly right. There is just one thing.

'Why would I care what a bunch of total strangers thinks of me, Mrs Reynolds? And how could Fitzwilliam set them to rights, he has no influence over other people, does he?'