Chapter 25

Soon, the music fades to the background as the content of the book captures his attention, and for half an hour he is very pleasantly engaged, totally involved in his reading. It is actually not a bad thing to have nothing to do besides reading, after a very busy week he feels a total calm come over him as he enjoys the contemporary poetry he chose to take with him. He still doesn't read novels very often, though Elizabeth recommended some he did like, and he expected to find a serious subject less suitable reading matter with the piano lesson distracting him.

Looking up after half an hour of concentrated reading he finds nothing has changed around the piano: Georgie is still sitting on the broad stool and playing the same few bars over and over again, with Mr Fielding standing over it listening attentively and commenting on her execution. To Darcy it sounds very tiring, to change such minute details in a piece of music that already sounds perfect, but Elizabeth told him she could hear the difference after Georgiana managed to implement all Mr Fielding's tricks of the trade, so he guesses there must be a use to all this nitpicking.

Remembering himself standing over Elizabeth as she was playing, reliving the admiration he felt for her at that particular instance, it occurs to him that he hasn't seen Elizabeth play the piano even once since their marriage. Somehow, that doesn't seem fair, Georgie has learned so much from Elizabeth, she has become so much more self-assured and so witty from having an excellent example, and Elizabeth has just given up on her playing, knowing she'll never reach Georgie's proficiency. But she also knows her needle-work will never match Mrs Annesley's, and still that doesn't keep her from spending entire evenings on some piece of embroidery. He makes a mental note to ask her about it, somehow her playing is just as pleasant to listen to as Georgiana's, simpler, but with plenty of feeling, and a totally different taste in music that suits Darcy perfectly.

His sister and her teacher are just teacher and pupil, there is not a single sign of attachment visible in Mr Fielding, and though Darcy knows Georgie and Elizabeth are not making things up, he decides to take the situation at face value and let his sister have the lessons she so desires.

And Elizabeth will be pleased to have her private concert, if Mr Fielding is prepared to play for them in their family-circle. Maybe there is something more Darcy can do for the young man, though apparently he already has a patron, and it will not be seemly to interfere in that.

It seems the lesson is already done after one and a half hours, for Georgie puts away the pages with the music she is currently studying. Now she makes room on the stool beside her, and Mr Fielding sits very close to her. He puts a few different sheets of music on the stand, looks straight at Darcy, and says: 'Mr Darcy, we've finished our lesson for today, and Miss Georgiana has requested we play together, and she wants me to demonstrate my skills as well so you can hear what she is aiming for. Please enjoy!'

And they launch in a very gay piece meant to be played by two people on one piano, very diverting, and very well-performed. Georgie's concentration is lessened just a bit, and she is clearly enjoying herself hugely, and Mr Fielding is certainly not disdainful of what must be child's play to him. He is playing his part, refraining from comments or even showing that he hears mistakes in Georgie's performance. So he can just enjoy music, too, he is not always ambitious.

The virtuoso piece ends, Mr Fielding skips a few pages, and now they play a very mellow, flowing song, quite literally, for Mr Fielding joins the piano singing. He has a magnificent voice, such a talented young man, and after the first verse Georgie's sweet voice joins his in the refrain. This is quality music, and Darcy truly enjoys himself listening.

When that song is ended, Georgiana sits next to him on the sofa, and Mr Fielding removes all the sheet music and settles in the middle of the stool. Immediately after that he starts to play, and though not in possession of a natural ear for music Darcy can hear why Elizabeth was so overwhelmed by this man's performance. This is superb, as his beloved said, hearing him play makes one realise how much Georgie still has to learn.