Chapter 160

Simon was now counting the days to Wednesday, since apparently that was when Prince George would leave. He could no longer enjoy his time with the devilishly clever prince, he was so afraid to slip and tell him something he shouldn't. Though there was something Simon would be able to use to keep a conversation going without actually talking of anything relevant, and that was Miss Bergman's ill-advised visit to the second floor, during which the prince had caught her.

'Mrs Reynolds, our housekeeper, wishes to thank you for your actions this afternoon, Your Highness. She has confronted Miss Bergman with her behaviour and admonished her not to intrude on the explorers' floor again. I know Miss Bergman rather well, and I'm reasonably certain she will obey.'

It seemed to work, for the prince picked up the subject and replied, 'It was my pleasure to help all of you. You know, before I decided to follow the rest upstairs I felt a little superfluous, you're such a close-knit group, then when I had decided I dared try to be part of that for the remaining days of my visit they were all gone and I had to make my own way upstairs. So I did, and found myself alone on your second floor, making my way to headquarters. At that moment I felt like an intruder myself, as if I was spying on the people I have come to like very much, and in a way I had come there to spy, to see Mrs Manners with her guard, to see whether I had any chance to compete with him.

But when I saw this unknown woman flitting from door to door I recognised a real spy, with bad intentions. I stared at her until she fled, I suppose I have my moments of authority and this was one, I didn't think she would be back even without a formal reprimand. I hope she didn't see anything relevant, she was still on Mr and Mrs Fielding's side of the stairs, not where your rooms are. Your sleeping arrangements are somewhat untraditional, she should not find that out. Better warn your housekeeper to keep that maid serving my room away from the second floor, she is as talkative as Manners' driver and possibly less gullible. For I do think Manners was pleased to hear the gossip his man had told me. He is deep, I like him immensely, most people are so easily seen through but he has layer upon layer to his character.'

Prince George might call Pauline talkative but he sure had plenty to say himself. And he was not done, yet.

'Well, of course I hadn't a chance with Mrs Manners, she was in her guard's arms, he was kissing her with intense love, such a strong man and totally at her feet, it was so romantic. Manners was looking on with satisfaction, but he saw me as soon as I came in. He invited me in, I suppose you've heard all of that by now. Mrs Manners excused herself beautifully but in fact it was I who had to excuse myself, I was the intruder. But I had to see that, now I know she is happy and her husband doesn't object at all. And for a moment I managed to feel myself included in their midsts, only you were lacking. Then we all went downstairs for coffee, but only after I'd told them about the intruder. I cannot stand the thought of Mrs Manners and her brave man being found out, I had to do something. Nor Manners himself. His mother-in-law's maid must not discover his secret, I want you all to visit me at Carlton House as my most respectable friends.'

Hints, allusions, innuendo, this was not going to change, was it? Simon bowed down before the prince's irrefutable curiosity, Prince George would not be stopped.

'I'm certain my master is very glad Miss Bergman did not get away with her snooping, Your Highness.'

There came a moment for every servant when only humble formality was left as a form of passive protest, and with Prince George it worked better than anyone else Simon had been forced to use it on, excepting Frederick, of course, but he had fallen in love with Simon almost instantly so that didn't count. This time was no exception.

'Dammit, Simon, you're a true master at making a man feel terribly guilty! And I didn't even expect you to tell me anything, I was just ranting because I'd my sights set on your mistress and she is obviously not meant for me! Please forgive me, don't leave me here unwashed and scarcely dressed, you know the power is entirely yours, I'm helpless before you, without your kind attentions I am doomed to look dishevelled and smell worse. I do respect all of you so much, not just your master and mistress, you, too, and your dangerous friend.'