Chapter 88

The next morning, Elizabeth's generally optimistic nature has some trouble asserting itself. What a mess they find themselves in, with Charlotte in distress and not even aware her husband is in trouble. Even if they decide not to take action against him, there is still this vague person threatening to expose some misdeed from the past.

For Charlotte's sake Elizabeth really wants to help, but she is absolutely certain Fitzwilliam will not agree to that. And she knows it's his love for her that makes him so severe, Mr Collins has done his very best to harm her and Fitzwilliam will never forgive him for that. Strangely, she cannot seem to manage to take it all very seriously herself, her cousin is a silly man and she expects him to do silly things. Of course she was angry when he insulted her in the carriage yesterday, and last night when she heard what he had done, but somehow it doesn't really affect her anymore. It's so very easy to just ignore him.

But Fitzwilliam is probably right to be so determined in his actions and since Elizabeth is not going to miss her cousin's presence, she will not try to get him to relent over banishing Mr Collins from the house. Elizabeth certainly will not miss him. But isn't Fitzwilliam a bit too vindictive? He said himself it was a shade in his character. Shouldn't he be a bit more lenient now he has a had a little time to contemplate? Better wait what Frederick has to say about Mr Collins' deeds, maybe Fitzwilliam is taking this too far, he is so very protective of her.

It's his mood, too, that makes her feel a little out of sorts. He has been to see Charlotte early that morning, to inquire after her well-being, but also to tell her about last night. She must have been shocked indeed, for the visit has thrown him into a kind of gloom Elizabeth has never seen him in before. Elizabeth offered to go to Charlotte for him, but he objected to that, said she hadn't been there when they confronted her cousin with his deed.

'Shall we meet Fielding and Manners, my love? They're expecting us,' he asks, voice dull.

'Yes, let's have it over with. But first I want you to hold me for a few moments. It's not your fault, my dear, you didn't do anything wrong.'

He does as she asks and embraces her with feeling, he even rests his head on her shoulder, his warm breath in her hair. His voice is very soft.

'Don't I know it, but the look in your friend's eyes. And I can't even blame her for marrying him, what choice did she have? You were so brave to refuse me in an even worse situation than Miss Lucas'. At least she had a brother to take care of her and her mother and sisters.'

'I try not to think of that too often, my love. I don't think I realised then, fortunately. Do you think we would have been happy if I had accepted your first offer?'

'I certainly would have been. But I'm ashamed to admit you might have suffered at first. I did love you a lot, though, I'm sure I would have improved myself if you had shown signs of unhappiness. The very idea of my exulting in your love and not realising you hated me instead makes me slightly ill. But your father would have talked you out of it, I'm sure.'

'True. Well, let's go decide what to do about my awful cousin. When will they leave?'

'After lunch. I have sent for Fanny's midwife, and if she advises your friend not to travel, Mrs Collins can stay and we'll have Hugo take her home with the slow team. I will not have Mr Collins under our roof another night. I've sent Johnson to bring him some breakfast, at least he can't work any more mischief from his room.'

She knew it, Fitzwilliam may have changed a lot, there are still some things he cannot tolerate, and she should be happy that threatening to harm her is one of them.

After talking to Eric and Frederick, Elizabeth knows what to do. And to spare Fitzwilliam the sight of her cousin, she will take Frederick to the study, where she will have her cousin brought to her to tell him what the consequences of his behaviour will be.